Macbook white, now or later?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spammo1, May 13, 2009.

1. spammo1 macrumors newbie

I'm currently looking at getting a new macbook white 2.0ghz with a 160gb HD, which is £640 with a student discount on the apple store, as it is essentially the same inside as the unibody, but signfinicantly cheaper. However, I am currently rather cautious of buying right now due to this, and the possibility of getting a free ipod with the back-to-school promo.

What I am worried about is that apple are going to drop the macbook white in the next couple of months (based on the low-price/cut-price macbook rumours), and either replace it with a lower-spec unibody, or not offer a replacement to the white and drop the price of the unibody, but not enough to bring it within my price range. Of course I could buy a cheap white from PCworld or amazon if they discontinue the line, and fit a 160gb HD myself, but the apple UK higher education store gives a 3-year extended warrantee for free, which I wouldn't get (applecare costing over £100)

Basically I'm trying to decide which i will i will regret more: missing out on a potential price cut on the white (and/or a free ipod) or missing out on the white and having to get either a low spec unibody or a more expensive unibody..

Any thoughts or ideas on what apple has in-store for the macbook line in the next few months?

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Buy now. If you wait, you risk having Apple drop it, and you will be devastated if you can't get it. It's a beauty of a machine.

3. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Technology is constantly revolving - if it doesn't change tomorrow, it will change next week.

My advice is, if its the right machine for you - go for it.

4. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

I'd say wait for WWDC, it's less then a month away, there will probably a few minor changes and some price drops. And with the current whitebook, some users have reported that there were issues with the screen, so i'd wait if i was you..

And having the latest is always the greatest :D

5. molala macrumors 6502a

It's a gamble. I bought my blackbook after it was discontinued. I was very annoyed at first because I also qualify for the education discount and before last October, I could have gotten the blackbook with the free iPod and AppleCare for just £60, but not after they introduced the unibodies (which I just don't like).

But it all worked out in the end. By late October, the blackbook was on the refurb store for £699 (originally £950, I would've paid £820 maybe with the education discount). No free iPod and I still have to get AppleCare (I'll get it from eBay for around £90). I still saved some money by waiting, but not a lot.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. spammo1 thread starter macrumors newbie

+1 for waiting,

Ended up getting the upgraded 2.13ghz with 160gbHD with a practically free back to school iPod touch today all for pretty much the same price I would have gotten the old 2.0ghz with a 160gbHD.

Now all i got to do is wait for it all to arrive - backing up music and data from my 3-year old HP 5kg concrete slab is strangely satisfying....

8. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

See, i told you to wait, you'd have really regretted it now, the next update for the whitebook won't happen for a long time, if there will be one ;)

9. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I do apologise, my advice really was the worst wasn't it? xD Congratulations on your purchase :)