Macbook (white nvidia) vs previous gen macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yurtal, May 28, 2009.

1. Yurtal macrumors member

Hi,

I wanted to ask a question regarding a performance comparison between the new white macbook (nVidia) and a 2-3 year old macbook pro.

I am thinking of getting a macbook pro from ebay that will cost around the same amount as a new white macbook (aus dollars) and I have noticed that the macbook pro's from around 2006-07 with a 2.16Ghz processor are selling for around the same amount.

I really like the old macbook pro's especially for the FW 400 and 800 connections. Are the 2-3 year old MBP's still good machines?

Thanks in advance.

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

they are great machines, but first, what are you primarily going to use it for? I got the an art school and loads of people use the white or black macbook for use with photoshop/illustrator/dreamweaver/indesign, etc. just depends on what you need to do.

3. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. I will be using it mostly for audio. I will be needing to use the FW 400 port but may need a 800 connection in the future too.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Coming from a 1st gen. MacBook Pro owner, the classic machine still works great. You may be interested in getting the late 2006 version of the MBP rather than the early 2006 version though, as it didn't ship with FireWire 800, or a dual layer SuperDrive, or an 802.11n card :( .

Aside from that though, it works quite well. In addition, because it has a dedicated graphics card, the performance is still going to be slightly better than what's available on the current version of the white MacBook.

5. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

True, but the OP is using it mainly for audio.
    What you've got to remember is you're getting a warranty with the whitebook, add Apple Care and you've got yourself 3 years piece of mind.
    However, if you really don't mind buying second hand, maybe look for a second hand 2.4Ghz Whitebook? Performance wise, it's going to beat the older MBP and should be cheaper?

6. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

That is great news, just what I wanted to hear. Yeah I thought a late 2006 model would be better. I am thinking of selling my current white macbook to my sister and then looking around on ebay for a MBP.

Thanks mate.

7. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

That is a good point, cheers. I just particularly like the MBP though and it's extra features like the express card slot etc.

8. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

For me, Firewire 800 is just so much faster than Firewire 400 that it makes a difference when moving around large files...

9. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

I think I'd go with the older Pro. I sold my aging MacBook Pro back in October to get the new aluminum MacBook and I must say, I've regretted it ever since. I'm not a heavy gamer, I mostly use my notebook for e-mail, web-browsing, iTunes, etc, however when I do do the odd gaming, the dedicated card makes it soooo much better. Even on the older units. That's how I feel anyway. That's why I'm going for the new MacBook Pro now.

If you do go second-hand on eBay, just make sure you get one in good condition, otherwise you'll regret it. If it's full of scratches & dents, you'll wish you'd got a brand new machine. I have done in the past.

Good luck.