Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
i know, i know there have probably been hundreds of these but im new to this site and to Mac, and a soon to be convert. Now i would get a MBP but its the price , so can anyone tell what the difference is between the 2.0GHz white MB and the black MB.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Besides an upgraded HD and scratch-resistant paint (questionable, some say otherwise), nothing. My first MB was white, second one is black. I loved both.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
i know, i know there have probably been hundreds of these but im new to this site and to Mac, and a soon to be convert. Now i would get a MBP but its the price , so can anyone tell what the difference is between the 2.0GHz white MB and the black MB.

The color.

Sorry, couldn't resist. White is so 2001 man. Go black.

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
Thanks i definitely go for the top end whitebook

i just gotta continue saving, probably go for a refurb.

ps ican burn n rip dvds with superdrive right?

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
I would get white (unless you need it for a business environment - then go black). I say white because the blackbook is a fingerprint magnet! my friend has one and he's constantly wiping off his blackbook because grease and fingerprints show up way to easily. yes, white macbooks are more prone to scratching but you have to tilt the thing at the right angle to see them.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I would get white (unless you need it for a business environment - then go black). I say white because the blackbook is a fingerprint magnet! my friend has one and he's constantly wiping off his blackbook because grease and fingerprints show up way to easily. yes, white macbooks are more prone to scratching but you have to tilt the thing at the right angle to see them.

shockingly all of the mac portables have their disadvantages:

white-heavily prone to scratching and discoloration

aluminum [i.e. macbook pro's]-prone to some of the hand grease and some scratching

black-not as prone to scratching as the white, major problem of hand grease and even fingerprints show up...anything shows up...the one thing that im interested about is the discoloration problem of the blackbook...ive known iBooks and macbooks that have had the "staining" problem b/c of hand grease, not just the ones that were recalled by :apple:

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2006
I'd go with the black. I think they look a heck of lot better than the white. Or just save for the MBP. Well worth it.

And apple's website does show you the difference between the models. They kind of put it there so you can compare them. Pretty neat concept if you ask me.

bob marley

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2007
Black Macbook is a waste of money. They paint the shell black, slap in a 40 gig bigger HD and charge you 100 bucks more. Just buy an external 50 gig for like 60 bucks

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Black Macbook is a waste of money. They paint the shell black, slap in a 40 gig bigger HD and charge you 100 bucks more. Just buy an external 50 gig for like 60 bucks

Or wait until Black Friday and get a 250GB external for $80 like I did :D

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
What is the 'blackbook tax'?

No clue but you can get the Blackbook (new) on Amazon for cheaper than buying it from Apple with educ. discount.

Amazon: $1499.99 - $100 rebate = $1399.99 shipped

Apple: $1399 * 6.25% tax = $1486.44 shipped

Refurb Blackbook from Apple: $1299 * 6.25% tax = $1380.19 shipped

Better off getting it from Amazon ;)

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
What is the 'blackbook tax'?

When the MacBooks were first released, the black ones were around $100-$200 more expensive than the white ones upgraded to an identical spec.

More recently, the black ones have come with a bigger hard drive, which brings the price difference between identical white and black systems down to $50. Still a premium, but a comparitively small one.

Perhaps someone has more accurate figures than the initial ones I've quoted. I'll edit this if someone can help on that.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I can't remember the site I saw it on, but the fake Apple ad with the Mac and the PC and a black dude comes out, mac introduces himself and "black Mac", says, yes, I know I am a Mac too. I am the new Black MacBook, Mac then says, well Sorry I have just never seeen, Black MacBook says. no no it's cool. I'm ust the same as you, well I do have a bigger hard drive.:D

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95

According to Apple sales, the color and 50 bucks, and thats it. Shows just as much dirt and dust also , although thats my opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.