MacBook White or MacBook Alum?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fulrac, Jan 3, 2009.

1. fulrac macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a MacBook White or MacBook Aluminum. I run the Adobe CS3 Suite (mostly Indesign & Photoshop) and FileMakerPro9 very regularly. Will I really notice a difference in speed, or will the MacBook white do the trick?

Would appreciate any advice!!

2. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

I don't think there will be a huge speed difference at all.
    But if I was you I'd still buy the Alu Macbook for three reasons:
    1) Better Display (LED)
    2) Plastic MacBook will most likely be discontinued in two days. Do you really want to buy something that will be outdated one day after you buy it?
    3) Better Touchpad (Multi-Touch etc),

3. Rewes macrumors member

I think that if you buy as much RAM as you can afford you won't notice any major differences. I just upgrated my girlfriend's 2.2GHz white MacBook to 2Gb RAM and it now feels a lot snappier and really fast. And the white MB still has FireWire.

4. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I think, out of personal preference, the Aluminium Macbooks look alot nicer, however, it's down to personal opinion as I've never liked the white plastic. However, I have got a white macbook and it's a great performing computer.

I think both are great machines, but if I was buying new, I'd go for an Aluminium one.

5. yoppie macrumors 6502a

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

You know, nearly everyone who owns an aluminum MacBook is going to recommend it, likewise everyone who gets a white MacBook will do the same.

Anyway, go with what you can afford. If you can spend the extra $300 in the aluminum MacBook, go for it. Both machines are capable of what you need for them to do.

8. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

I had a white MacBook and now I own an Aluminium MacBook. I'll say DEFINITELY go for the Aluminium one.

It's prettier, lighter, sturdier (even though it feels thinner), gets less dirty, has a better (and brighter) display, WAAAY better touchpad and it wows people wherever I go more than the plastic one (which often got referenced as being a barbie toy :p)

9. svndmvn Guest

The Alu Macbook is just better and of better value. The white one is dying anyway, there's a reason to that.

10. rtn5000 macrumors newbie

Don't forget the much improved integrated graphics card. It kills what's inside the old plastic macbook. Future versions of CS4-CS5 might see a boost in performance from the improved graphics card included in the Alum Macbook.

11. MacJenn macrumors regular

Look at the Macbook Pro refurbs if you can't afford a new Pro . The new Macbooks are horrible and the screens in them are worse than a $600 Walmart Dell. Apple should be ashamed of that. Plus the new Macbooks costs more for less now. The little fanpeople love them and will defend them, but they got ripped.

12. urkel macrumors 68030

Fan noise and less heat are more than enough reasons to get the new macbook. My old one turned into a jet engine every time I fired up photoshop or lightroom but the new ones are very quiet.

But as been said, if you need on-board color accuracy then you have to get the pro. The macbook screen is incredibly washed out in comparison.

13. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

I have to agree with this also!

14. ToddW macrumors 6502a

i would wait until the lamo keynote and see if the do an update. if the whites are totally discontinued then you might can get one at a better price point.