MacBook white questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aratio, Feb 26, 2009.

1. aratio macrumors member

Hi,

I am a soft developer and the "UNIX-ness" of MacOSX got me very attracted to these amazing machines. Now I want to buy a MacBook and I have several questions:

1. I want to buy a newest MacBook white (MB881LL/A) but I do not know if the 2.0 GHz processor will be useful and powerful let's say, in the next two years. Let's be honest, in the PC world you can buy a machine with better processor to the same price... I know, there is nothing compared to the user experience when working with MacOS X... but, I want to know if my MacBook white will be still a good computer with its 2.0 GHz processor in the following two or three years.

2. Just speculating, but, do you think Apple is going to release newer versions of the MacBook white? (more powerful processors, more RAM, etc.?) or do you think they will "freeze" the "white" line and will expand only the unibodies?

3. Do you think the MacBook 4GB logical limit will be broken after releasing SnowLeopard through a firmware update or something like that?

4. I have no the budget for an aluminum computer, but, do you recommend to buy a MacBook white RIGHT NOW or save more money and buy the MacBook aluminum? Will it be worth?

Thanks in advance

Aratio

2. bailorg macrumors member

bailorg

I can't answer the other questions, but I don't think the White MacBook will be updated any time soon since it was just updated a month ago:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=638187

3. Cboss macrumors 6502

1. Just because the clock speed is lower it doesn't mean the processor is worse. There have been 2.0 Ghz machines for years but the newer ones are much better.

2. If there is an upgrade it won't be worth the wait. The current white MacBooks are by far the best deal on an Apple computer right now. Performance wise it is very close to the base unibody. You're just paying extra for the aluminum unibody and the extra engineering Apple put into it. Plus the new trackpad is awesome. :)

3. The current limit is 6 GB. Apple's site may say otherwise but it's just not updated. Snow Leopard may boost that to 8 GB but it's not certain. There may be other limiting factors on that which I am unaware of.

4. As I said above, if you want it now get it now. It's a very good computer. Only save up for the unibody if you want the extra durability, new trackpad, and new glass screen.

Also, make sure you buy the base specs and upgrade on your own. It's much cheaper and is very easy.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

As your a developer get the aluminum Macbook with developer discount.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Unless the OP is a student, the developer membership costs $500. The discount on the MacBook is nowhere near $500, so it would end up costing the OP more.

Refurb unibody MacBooks are $1099, though, which is a very good deal.

As for speed... whatever you buy, it will be outdated in two or three years. That goes for Windows and Apple products. But that does not mean you'll be left with a useless computer: my 2.5 year old MacBook still does everything I ask of it.

6. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I cannot speak for the 2.0GHZ model but I use a White MacBook * late 2008 rev* and I use basic Photoshop needs, and it has been used for coding, and designing work.

They are a good enough machine, and given the price of the base MacBook White now, it's a good purchase. I certainly prefer it to a similarly priced HP/Toshiba/Dell.

7. AJerman macrumors member

I'd offer to sell you my MB, but it looks like they have pretty strict rules here about marketplace and although I've been a front page reader and occasional forum reader for a while, I've never registered until now, and I don't want to break their rules.

My MB is very fast (granted it's a 2.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, and a 7200 RPM HDD), one of the fastest computers I use really. I don't think you'd have any problem with speed. Hell, I run XP in Parallels faster than most people's PCs can.

Also, the nice thing about macs is that Apple tends to not run out old systems too quickly. Sure, it'll be "outdated" in a couple of years, but I'd bet it'll still run most apps just fine. You're talking 10.7 timeframe, which obviously we know nothing about right now, but a current MB will run 10.6 great. At the same time, all MBs will be outdated with 10.6 because they don't have dedicated graphics to take advantage of new features, but it wont affect how they run.

I certainly wouldn't be afraid to take the plunge now if I were you. The MBs are probably the best Macs for the price ever made. The Aluminum doesn't really do a whole lot for you (in my opinion) unless you want the look and a couple of other small things. I'd just save the money and stick with White, or go all the way to a MBP.