macbook white screen and stuck on sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scarletclark, Aug 26, 2011.

1. scarletclark macrumors newbie

Not sure if anyone can help, as I have spent hours trying to search for an answer and nothing fits quite exactly.

I have a macbook 13" - I only needed it to last for a few days longer as I have a MBP due next week. The macbook has died on me - it stays at a white screen. I cannot properly turn it off (goes into sleep with balnk screen and LED flashing as per normal), however neither will it get past the white screen. There is no start up chime, but I can hear the HDD trying to work/sounding as it always did when everything was working normally.

I have tried all the various re-boots (set PRAM etc), removing the battery pack, removing the RAM (result was a single beep - so I am assuming it's not the logic board else there would be no noise at all, right?)

I don't want to have to pay for it to be repaired as I am not going to need it soon - I just want it to work one last time to transfer stuff over. What a time to go :((

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Sounds like the logic board for sure.

• Remove the hard drive
    • Buy a $10 2.5" SATA - USB hard drive enclosure
    • Place the HDD in the enclosure
    • Connect to the MBP and copy your stuff over

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

4. scarletclark thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - thanks guys! They're certainly a whole lot cheaper than apple support...

5. colettesaxby macrumors newbie

The same just happened to me... it was the logic board. I did exactly what Quad5Ny advised and now have all my data!