Macbook white sreen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stenv, Dec 14, 2013.

1. stenv macrumors newbie

Hello to all !
    I bought a macbook white unibody A1342 2010 on ebay and I state ,
    the seller had reported this problem.
    Since I'm delighted for years in the assembly pc / mac and I also have a discrete
    experience on the hardware of the notebook I decided to buy it with the intent
    obviously thinking to fix it , given the description of the problem in question ,
    to get by the worse with the replacement of the monitor.
    In fact, this happens to me :
    I state the notebook works perfectly but the screen stays on
    but white and rye monitor works only via the displayport
    vga adapter when the system is running.
    I disassembled the laptop to the last piece and apparently seems in order.
    Lvds cable connections appear to be correct .
    I then ordered a new monitor Lg always on ebay and in the meantime removing
    the theoretically fault I noticed a note on the back of a pen with the November date
    , 2013. I got the new monitor connected immediately but unfortunately
    same problem.
    Probably those who sold it to me had already tried unsuccessfully to replace the monitor ( villain ) !
    By instinct I would say that could be the lvds cable but before spending
    more money I would like to be sure.
    Can you advise ?
    Have you had similar experiences?
    It is not excluded that in case of a problem on the logic board but it would seem
    strange because the video signal from the display port out properly.
    Thanks in advance for your advice !

2. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Hello.

So your macbook boots and works fine using an external monitor, but the laptop LCD is only white? I wonder if you mean white like the backlight is on but no video coming through.

I have never fixed that, but imagine someone here has. Can you confirm that is the behavior you are seeing? Maybe even take a video of it booting and upload it to Youtube.

3. stenv thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

I can confirm is that the image comes only from displayport instead of the monitor is on but the bottom blackand with back light and no image.

4. trevm999 macrumors member

Disconnect everything your don't need from the logic board and turn it on, just to make sure there isn't something else causing the problem. Check the display cable port and make sure you don't see any damage.

Pretty much all you can do next is order the cable. If there are cracks on the display shell near the hinge part, you can get a display shell from Apple at no charge, it comes with the cable. The cable can't be very expensive, but it is a bit of a pain to just replace the cable and not the whole display shell.

If that doesn't work, then you are looking at a bad logic board.

I recently order the same macbook from ebay. It barely had any of the original screws and the board was completely fried, and a bunch of connectors were damaged. Battery was in perfect condition though.