Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dahem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
So my friend is thinking about buying the white macbook
he says he doesn't want the pro , and the reason he STILL wont buy the white macbook is because he thinks it wont be updated
so is it really discontinued ? i mean they won't upgrade it anymore right ?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
So my friend is thinking about buying the white macbook
he says he doesn't want the pro , and the reason he STILL wont buy the white macbook is because he thinks it wont be updated
so is it really discontinued ? i mean they won't upgrade it anymore right ?

What difference would it make?

Say you buy one, and then they upgrade the line six months later - they're not gonna upgrade the one you bought, right? :confused:

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
I really hope it doesn't get discontinued... My girlfriend and I adore its shape and are looking to get one each at the end of this year. Just hoping it doesn't get Intel 3000 graphics in the mean time...

Dahem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
what i want to know is, will they upgrade it (add thunderbolt , sandy bridge ...etc...) or is this what's it gonna be for the rest of its life

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
what i want to know is, will they upgrade it (add thunderbolt , sandy bridge ...etc...) or is this what's it gonna be for the rest of its life

If this is what the MacBook will have for the rest of its life(C2D 2.4ghz/2gb ram/250gb HDD), it will have a very short life.

Sandy Bridge is a probability but we dont know yet

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
one thing that the unibody macbook (white) lacks that I couldn't live without is firewire. Will TB integration eliminate that shortfall? only time will tell I guess. If you/your friend have a microcenter around they are selling the 13" MBP for $999.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

That isn't what you said:

...the reason he STILL wont buy the white macbook is because he thinks it wont be updated

Whatever your friend buys today, it doesn't matter what Apple does (or does not) add to the line down the road; whatever he just bought is going to be the same as the day he bought it.

Al Coholic

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Under the I-470 Freeway
If it can survive all the Macbook Pro incarnations at its current price point (which isn't really a good value IMO) then Apple must feel it has its place.

It will still need to keep its distance from the Pro line however so I doubt Thunderbolt will be included. Sandy Bridge will need to be used as Apple has no choice. This of course means Intel graphics just like it used to have.

Strange device the macbook... I never see anyone use it.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
I'm surprised they didn't give it a Core i3, or lower end i5.

Maybe it was purely based on the GPU performance.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Currently the 13" MacBook Pro is so much better for such a small price difference it make no sense to buy the regular white MacBook.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
If it can survive all the Macbook Pro incarnations at its current price point (which isn't really a good value IMO) then Apple must feel it has its place.

It will still need to keep its distance from the Pro line however so I doubt Thunderbolt will be included. Sandy Bridge will need to be used as Apple has no choice. This of course means Intel graphics just like it used to have.

Strange device the macbook... I never see anyone use it.

MacBooks are quite popular actually, i thought they had better sale than the MBP last year?

I'm surprised they didn't give it a Core i3, or lower end i5.

Maybe it was purely based on the GPU performance.

It will come, but not today nor tomorrow.

Currently the 13" MacBook Pro is so much better for such a small price difference it make no sense to buy the regular white MacBook.

+1

Al Coholic

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Under the I-470 Freeway
So who does actually prefer the regular white MB over the 13" MBP?
I think there are a lot of school districts and learning institutions that issue laptops to each student. Kids are pretty rough on them and there is some serious discounting for the education market with Apple. (or there used to be anyway).

My 2 kids had macbooks issued to them all through high school.

Weiser878

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
So who does actually prefer the regular white MB over the 13" MBP?

I bought a MacBook instead of a Pro and used the difference in price to install 8GB RAM.

I don't see the Pro as being so much better.

I don't have a need for a card reader or FireWire, and I find the white keys lit by the screen to be easier to type on in low light than the backlit black keys.

Other than the screen, why, exactly, is the Pro better for me?

Al Coholic

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Under the I-470 Freeway
Other than the screen, why, exactly, is the Pro better for me?

You mean as of right now or when you bought your macbook which had the same CPU as the pro? As of now, just with the different processors the pro is no-brainer.

Either way... just look at the specs on Apple's website. You might not value some of the things the pro comes with but should you ever need to sell it...

Also, with an education discount of $100 on the pro vs. $50 (I think) on the plain macbook it becomes an even more compelling value.

Weiser878

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
You mean as of right now or when you bought your macbook which had the same CPU as the pro? As of now, just with the different processors the pro is no-brainer.

Either way... just look at the specs on Apple's website. You might not value some of the things the pro comes with but should you ever need to sell it...

Also, with an education discount of $100 on the pro vs. $50 (I think) on the plain macbook it becomes an even more compelling value.

Yeah, when I bought it in October they had the same processor and HDD.
Life's too short to worry about resale. I guess I'm different from the Apple status quo. I use something till it dies, or pass it on to someone in my family.
Not everyone qualifies for the education discount.

I actually like the way the unibody looks and feels better, too, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

ZiggyZidel

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
As other posters have said, I'm not really sure where your friend heard that the MacBook has been discontinued. Apple has not made any official statement regarding this meaning that they are still in production, and should expect an update sometime soon like the MacBook Pro and iMac have just recieved. If you need a laptop now, buy it. If you want to play the waiting game, go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.