Macbook White upgrade to Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bilalo, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask for my sister, She owns a White Macbook 2009-2010 model (one of the 2 years, think 2010) and she has Snow Leopard or Leopard, also don't know which one. Anyway is it ok if I upgrade it to Mountain Lion now or will it not handle it as in it needs more specifications or whatever? If it does need specific specs more than leopard then do state what they are as I dont know what specs she has but I doubt them being a lot, just the standard.
    Also I wanted to ask is there any risk of losing stuff on the laptop while upgrading? not doing a clean install just a Mac App store upgrade. I do not have back up so will anything be erased?

Thank You

2. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Yes the 2009 or 2010 can both be upgraded to mountain lion, firstly the laptop needs to have snow leopard on it and be fully updated, then you need to go to the mac app store and buy mountain lion (you dont need to go through lion and apple has stopped selling lion anyway) by downloading and installing this way you shouldn't lose any data although its always wise to back up important file even if thats to a usb stick or burnt to a dvd.

3. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

I know they could be upgraded but is it wise to do so? Will mountain lion make the laptop slower in any way due to older specs or something? And by the way I wanted to ask, all the hand motions, like the use of 2-3-4 fingers, will they be available on the macbook white or are they only ok macbook pro and air? For some reason I only saw them in macbook pro :/ Never in Air even nor normal macbooks and theyre like soo important to me :p

Thank you

4. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Humm mountain lion does run faster than lion but its probably slightly slower than snow leopard. Yes the 2009 and 2010 uni body have the magic trackpad so if you have one of these then the muliti touch gestures will work just fine. If you have a separate mouse button below he trackpad on your mac then its not multi touch. The 2010 or newer air also has multi touch gestures.

5. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

Theseare the specs
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1436867
    Are they strong enough :S many people said that ML uses 1.5-2 gb ram roughly to just run :/

6. chibiterasu, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Why did you create another thread??

Any way I have a friend that runs a late 2009 macbook and he says that ml runs faster than lion (but he did a clean install) and he also only has 2gb of ram. If you back up before you install and you still have your snow leopard disc you can always go back if you don't like it. the price you pay for ml will upgrade from 10.6 to 10.7 look on apples website for all the basic details http://www.apple.com/osx/

7. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I'm running a mid 2010 MB with upgraded ram to 8G and a 128G SSD and it boots up in 16 seconds. Before I updated the SSD drive, ML ran a LOT faster than Lion did on a 7200RPM 320G drive.

8. cshel24 macrumors member

Mountain Lion is the way to go. I have a 2009 MacBook and it ran so badly on Lion that I put Snow Leopard back on it. It does a very good job with Mountain Lion. It seems as fast as Snow Leopard.

I would avoid Lion at all cost.