macbook: white vs aluminium...which one should i get...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by curry016, May 6, 2009.

1. curry016 macrumors newbie

hi guys

basically my pc at home is a piece of junk and ready to crawl over and die and i've decided to get a mac to replace it

i will basically be using the computer for internet browsing, watching online movies and DVDs, listening to music and editing video, photo and music

here are the 3 options i'm considering:
    1. white macbook 2.0GHz, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM [costs AU$1,649]

2. aluminum macbook 2.0GHz, 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM [costs AU$2099]

3. white macbook same as above but upgrade the RAM from 2GB to 4GB [makes the price AU$1,829]

just wondering which macbook you think would suit me and if it's worth the extra money to either get the aluminum macbook, upgrade the RAM in the white macbook or just get the basic white one

and also please fill me in with the pros/cons of each macbook...i heard the white one cracks real easy and that the display on the new one is craphouse

thanx in advance

L8erz =)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Here are the search results for your question from the past 3 months on the forums.

Results

I'm not trying to be rude, but this exact question is asked over and over again.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

And you'll be able to look up results to your question NOW, rather than wait a few days for results to trickle in.

4. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

5. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Either one is an excellent computer. The aluminum one looks cooler and is sturdier (but it will dent it you drop it). The white one is cheaper.

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

The only thing that tips me in your post is the fact that you mentioned video editing but what type of editing do you do? If it's using your camcorder, if it has FW to transfer the video or is it video content from the web then this is your call. If you need FW then really the white MacBook is the way for you to go or if you plan on buying (or you have) a camcorder that uses USB 2.0 then the UMB (unibody) would be my choice.

7. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Like said before, If you need firewire, go with white. I like both Macbooks and really think that it comes down to looks / preference. If money is the issue, I think you will love the white one. I think the cracking problem is minimal now and apple is quick to honor that problem if it happens. I bought a white one in june of 2007 and a friend has it now with no problems. He drags it around a lot. From my observations, in the store a couple times, the screens on white and unibody are similar quality (nominal).