Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
All prices are using education discount. Midrange MacBook (white) costs $1199. Next upgrade is Blackbook for $1399. My only question is why not buy midrange and pay the extra $90 for 250GB HD upgrade and get exact same specs as BlackBook for $110 dollars cheaper. Are people really willing to pay $110 for a color.

Really strange and a bit funny, but it's true :)

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
any updates with people with penryn blackbooks? i heard the new blackbooks are different, and i know people have had them for longer now, so any updates on the blackbooks? do they still wear out more easily?

One way to choose is to go to the apple store, and to see the condition of both, chances are your will come NEAR to it, not exactly (since they're treated like crap), but will eventually come to a condition near it, and it will take a while, and then decide which you like. new penryn blackbooks are to be less prone to fingerprints, and the blackbooks dont look THAT bad to the bad compared to the white books that are brown, as in the keyboard, and i'd rather do less maintenance on my laptop, so looks like the black tax is worth it.

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
For current blackbook owners... are the keys made out of a shinier plastic than the rest of the case? I looked at 3 different penryn display models today and all their keys were slightly shinier and looked a bit cheap IMO.

It may be just the demo units though.

weizilla

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
For current blackbook owners... are the keys made out of a shinier plastic than the rest of the case? I looked at 3 different penryn display models today and all their keys were slightly shinier and looked a bit cheap IMO.

It may be just the demo units though.

actually i just noticed this the other day. I have the new blackbook and i noticed that the keys are shiny plastic instead of the matte plastic used for the apple aluminum desktop keyboard, which felt better. however, this is my first mac computer so i can't help you with a comparison with previous macbooks

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I've experienced both sides of the fence and there seems to be greener pastures on both sides! I bought my White MB, which had the same specs as the BlackBook, but was $300 cheaper with the education discount. I went the next couple of months having my friends commenting on my "feminine-side" and my White MB looked really "cute!" Recently, I went through airport security and the "dorks" playing TSA security rubbed my White MB with their reddish/pinkish cloths and left a couple of smudges near the touchpad and spacebar, and it took several wipe-downs and scrubbings with iKlear and the polishing cloth to remove it. Well, just 3-days ago, I switched-out to the new BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB, only because the Apple Store didn't have the White MB configured to my specs, but the BlackBook did, so I chose the BlackBook and walked out of the Store with BlackBook in hand, while NOT having to pay the $300 difference. The Apple Store Manager wanted to make my shopping experience enjoyable, and not have me come back to pick-up my White MB in about 2-3 days. Now that's CUSTOMER SERVICE! Anyway, day 3 of BlackBook has been uneventful; I wipe my BlackBook down as if it was my iPhone; which is about 10X a day, (obsessive compulsive in a good way?) but the extra space on my hard drive is just sitting there staring back at me, wondering when I'm going to utilize his/her remaining 198GB. The BlackBook is faster, the keyboard is a dream come true, and the wireless seems to connect faster and locate more wireless connections wherever I go, and it looks "snappy and sleek" as some of my friends have described. Yes, The DARKSIDE is my future and now I'm getting all the Star Wars comments thrown at me like spare change in front of the local Starbucks! I miss my White MB, but that's only because I babied it and when I turned it over to the Apple Store Manager, it was described as "Immaculate" and "Clean" by the SM and the Genuis' hopefully I can do the same justice to my new BlackBook. PM me if you have any other questions or comments. :p

Just wondering how your blackbook has held up. Are the greasemarks fom fingers a problem? How about reliability, etc?
Thanks (I know this post was a long time ago, not sure if you're still following it!

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Just wondering how your blackbook has held up. Are the greasemarks fom fingers a problem? How about reliability, etc?
Thanks (I know this post was a long time ago, not sure if you're still following it!

Actually, I sold my BlackBook this past August '08, and no problems whatsoever. Fingerprint marks were definitely the downside of the BlackBook, but it was the best MB I owned. It cleaned up very well, throughout my ownership, and I ended up selling it to a friend of mine via CL. I purchased a MBA in August '08 and will probably purchase the Rev. B MBA in January '09, since it meets my current needs for the next year or so. I sold my BlackBook for $1350, so the resale price is probably another important factor you might consider...:cool:

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Actually, I sold my BlackBook this past August '08, and no problems whatsoever. Fingerprint marks were definitely the downside of the BlackBook, but it was the best MB I owned. I purchased a MBA in August '08 and will probably purchase the Rev. B MBA in January '09, since it meets my current needs for the next year or so. I sold my BlackBook for $1350, so the resale price is probably also another important factor you might consider...:cool:

Funny you mention selling yours. I sold my four month old BlackBook on eBay for $1450 last August as well. It was a good notebook but I missed having a Windows laptop.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Wow, great resale value, guys!
I'm trying to decide between the white and black and wonder whether the black frames the screen better.
I also may just wait to see if Apple updates the Mini. I really don't need a laptop I will use it on my desk but I just do not like the iMac-the glass screen annoys me too much.

jshelton

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2008
I have the white MacBook and I am quite happy with it. In my opinion, the white IS Apple. As many people have stated, the black one looks like a PC. I really like the black one too though. Apple doesn't make an ugly notebook in my opinion. If you look at the signatures (myself included), the people that own aluminums will say the plastic ones suck. People who own BlackBooks will say the white ones suck. Go figure. At least we have options.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I love my blackbook, although I would like to upgrade to a mbp for better video editing. More hard drive storage as well.

For less than a $100 you can upgrade your hard drive. Takes 5 minutes. The video editing is another matter. My Blackbook does fine doing video editing for my needs right now. I'm thinking about getting a new MBP though and giving my Blackbook to my wife. I 'm also thinking of getting a new 2.4 MB. It will be one or the other come January.

I love my Blackbook. It has been great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.