Macbook white vs MBP vs MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by matt90036, May 8, 2011.

1. matt90036, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

matt90036 macrumors regular

So which one has a better build quality? I did some research on my own and here is what i came up with:
    1. MBP has a hinge problem with many buyers complaing of 1/4 inch screen movement when typing - any kind of screen movement is unacceptable for me especially when buying and expansive laptop
    2. MBA has same problem as MBP
    3. Macbook White seemed to have an issue with bazel cracking but i read somewhere about this problem being fixed in the 2011 models. I havet ready and complaints about any hinge problems on white macbook.
    CAN anybody tell me their personal experiace which one has better build quality? I am very much so OCD when i buy laptops at the price of $1000USD, i dont take very well any blemishe, any loose parts or so on. So far ive been buying thinkpad laptops which have very tight hinge, top of the line build quality at the same premium price as macbooks. Id like to try something different this time. So give me some feedback.

Here is some macbook pro and macbook air hinge problem stories:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/26/macbook-air-hinge-defect-not-covered-by-apples-warranty/ - apple refuses to fix hinge problem under its warranty
    http://www.fixthehinge.com - more people upset about the hinge
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/home - a video showing what i mean is a loose hinge

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I have late 2007 White MB. No crack after 3+years of use.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

MBP is the bang for your buck and has great build quality

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

I don't notice my MacBook Air's hinge moving while I type.

5. 4phun macrumors member

If any movement wsa detected in this new 2011 MBP while typing it would go back in a heart beat.

Since I still have it, your information on the MBP 2011 is misinformation.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Any laptop will have some amount of moving when you type. If it didn't, the laws of physics would not be in effect. That being said, I've used the MBPs and they don't have 1/4" movement in the screen. You might see that if the laptop is near your knees, but that would be because the whole computer is moving.

The cracking issue was resolved with the white unibody design, which includes all the MacBooks after the aluminum unibody MacBook.

As others have said, the MBP is the best bang for your buck, especially since they now have Thunderbolt.

7. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I've owned both an Aluminum Unibody MacBook and a Unibody Polycarbonate MacBook so I'm going to list the differences between the two:

- The aluminum model dents, the white model scratches
    - The keyboard on the aluminum seems softer to type on
    - The screen on my WhiteBook is better, but the newer MacBook Pro's offer a better, brighter screen
    - When moving the aluminum model around, the display moved back a good amount. The latch seemed kinda weak; I don't know if this has improved on the Pro's.
    - The white gets dirty easily, especially the rubber bottom. It's easy enough to clean though
    - The white model seems more clean, but the aluminum looks more professional.
    - There have been reports that the white unibodies crack around the hinges on top of the laptop, but there have been few cases. AppleCare has been taking care of them.

Right now, the MacBook Pro model is a much better buy because they were just recently updated, whereas the white model hasn't been in a year. There is no telling when Apple is going to update it. It all comes down to personal preference. I actually like the white unibody model better, but quite a few people don't. If you can visit a local Apple store and try them out for yourself.

8. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

In my experience the macbook will warp slowly overtime. I have 2 late '06 and they both have done this.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well right now, if you're getting baseline models I would go with the MBP because of all of the features it gives you along with the performance bump and the structural design. I have an upgraded blackbook and love it to death; comparing it to my friend's 2010 MBP the keyboard isn't backlit and the keys are a little louder (and I'm a very fast typer so people tend to turn around and look at what I'm doing lol).

The pro is only 200 more and comes with higher overall specs and a better design/build quality than the others.

10. sordan macrumors member

I have a 2011 white macbook. Structurally, its very well made. No cracks or hinge problems. Its a night and day difference between the 08 white macbook I used to have to this one. Since it's white you do have to take better care to make sure it's clean. Mr.Clean magic erasers work wonders on the bottom, and I use iClean and a soft cloth to clean the screen and keyboard and everywhere else.

Overall, it's a wonderful computer. However, I do kind of wish that I would have saved my money to buy a MBP just for the backlit keyboard and better screen (I find the macbook screen to be a little too dim for my taste).

11. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

How do you deal with life in general when %^#& happens?:confused: Really man, it's just a computer.:rolleyes: It will cuffs and character over time. I got a couple of scratches on the bottom of my laptop and it never phased me.;)

12. matt90036 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh no you got me all wrong, i dont mind the blemishes that i put on it. BUT I DO NOT ACCEPT any blemishes, faulty hinges or bazels cracking due to normal use.
    Here is some macbook pro and macbook air hinge problem stories:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/26/macbook-air-hinge-defect-not-covered-by-apples-warranty/
    http://www.fixthehinge.com/
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/home

13. matt90036 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, this was invaluable imput. Are you saying that white macbook has actually better quality screen than MBP?

14. matt90036 thread starter macrumors regular

I do not care about specs, i care more about the bud quality. Plz tell me more what "great" means.

15. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I should have clarified that better. The white MacBook has a brighter screen than the previous aluminum 2008 13" MacBook, but worse than the current MacBook Pro. My buddies girlfriend and the screen is noticeably brighter, but I'm not sure if the quality is different. I have owned 3 MacBook's before this one and it has by far a much better quality screen than any of my previous models. Brighter as well.