Macbook white

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cfrenia, May 17, 2009.

1. cfrenia macrumors newbie

I had read in another threat on here somewhere (couldn't find it through search), that the white macbook was going to be done away with after WWDC this year. Is this true/likely to happen? I really prefer the white macbook over the aluminum (and it's a stretch to even afford the white, let alone another $300 for the aluminum). I was possibly planning to wait until the end of summer but if they get rid of the white macbooks I guess I should buy before WWDC, correct?
    Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If/when they do away with the white MB, they will replace it with something else at that price.

3. JDee macrumors 6502a

The WMB will go sometime soon - it can't always be there.

It is one of Apples best selling computers - and it probably be wont as soon as WWDC but everything is based on pure speculation.

4. techie4life macrumors 6502

I can't tell give you a definitive answer, but I will say that I think they will keep the white MacBooks in the refub store if they do end up ceasing production. There are still previous generation MacBook Pros in the refurb store, so I would assume that they will have white MacBooks on occasion.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If it is cut from Apple's line up, I bet you'll be able to get it still(from MacMall, Amazon, Best Buy, etc)

I agree I hope it doesn't go...at least not until Apple put back FW on the MacBook(I'm still mostly FW 400, but I could deal with FW 800) And yes that 999 price point is very nice....I'd hope Apple could bump that Unibody MacBook down to that over time.

Heck make the white MacBook 799, it will sell like wild fire!

6. techie4life macrumors 6502

I am going to be entering college and I want to spend the least amount possible and still get a good laptop that will last me for 4 years. I'm sure a lot of other students are in the same situation, so by setting the WhiteBook to $799, you're right, they would sell like crazy!

7. timROGERS macrumors member

Don't forget that, at least in the UK, if the price is reduced on a product 14 days or less after purchase, you get the different refunded!

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

On the introduction of the alu macbook Jobs said that they planed to keep making the white macbooks for a long time. I have no idea how long a long time is though.

9. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

AFAIK, steve jobs definition of a long time varies from 1 year (distance between os upgrades) and 10 years (length of various performas warranties). So it could be WWDC, i doubt it though, as many people still use FW400. (Myself included). If they do drop it, also some Movie Editors will not be pleased. This is especially as many editors use older MacBooks for simple edits in Final Cut Express using FireWire cameras (as the 12" PB G4 doesn't cut it and 15" MBPs are too large).

10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

IMO it will be available for a while. I think it is still way too popular. The $999 price point will stay even if they bump an Aluminum model down to take its place. Maybe when they do the next big revision they might do something with it. If the do anything at WWDC, it will be a speed bump. I wouldn't rush off and get it. Stick to your plan. Even if it is cut they will be available in various stores for a while.