Macbook WiFi Extremely Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZazenZach, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ZazenZach macrumors member

I have a Macbook 5,1 Late 2008 Unibody running Yosemite 10.10.5 suffering from wifi issues.

I have 300 mb/s or more internet speed and the macbook is only doing about 2 mb/s or nothing at all. I use my other computers and they work just fine (no problems with the router either) so I know it's just this computer. When I use an ethernet cable it gets normal speeds.

I've gone into system information and it shows wifi card info. I've tried everything including resetting pram, deleting the wifi plists in /library/.../systempreferences/. Deleting and the recreating the wifi under network in the system preferences. Firmware all looks up to date.

Any idea what the problem may be and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

How far away from the wifi access-point are you?

Try getting within a couple feet, even temporarily, and see what happens. If it works better, then you might have an antenna problem in the Mac. The wifi antenna is connected with a small snap-on connector, and that connector can come loose, especially in older machines. Or the cable might be worn, since it goes through the screen hinge in some models.

On the other hand, if getting within a couple feet doesn't change anything, then it's probably not the antenna. It could be, just less likely. You might still want to take it in for a service check.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If nothing else helps, you might consider trying a USB wifi adapter...