Macbook wifi help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dan7592, Mar 20, 2008.

1. dan7592 macrumors regular

So when I close the screen on my macbook, and open the screen back up, I go to firefox, and it says I do not have an internet connection. I have all 5 bars, but I cannot see any web pages. All of my other computers are connected to the internet working fine. What is causing it? I am on 10.5.2, but it was also happening on leopard as well.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Get menu meters. Those meters will be grey when you don't have a connection. Are you using PPPoE? Does it come back after a few seconds? It always takes a few seconds to a minute to restore your IP address from the router.

TEG

3. dan7592 thread starter macrumors regular

it doesn't come back. I have tried restarting the computer, disconnecting and reconnecting the airport, to no avail. I have to literally unplug the router's power cord and plug it back in in order for it to work.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Next time you loose it, in the Network Preference Pane for the Airport, under the TCP/IP tab, click on "Renew IP Lease" and see if your connection comes back.

TEG

5. dan7592 thread starter macrumors regular

what is IPv4? I just turned it off and I didn't lose my wifi connection. should that be what's causing this?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

IPv4 is the standard TCP/IP address, you pretty much need that to use the internet at present.

TEG