Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
Hello all,

About a year ago I gave my then gf a Snow Leopard disc I had bought so she could upgrade her MacBook (model 5,1 late 2008 aluminum) from Leopard to Snow Leopard. She finally got around to installing it today, and immediately after doing so, she found that the wifi does not work. She is reporting that no wifi networks show up anymore but for the few minutes they did after the upgrade her connection would timeout. The operating system that she upgraded to was 10.6.3 (what was on the disc), and it seems from what I've read about this specific increment of Snow Leopard was that it messed up a lot of MacBook's wifi cards. I vaguely remember having this same problem to my MacBook (4,1 Early 2008 Polycarbonate 2.4GHz Model) but I don't remember what I did to get it to work besides downgrading to 10.6.2.

What sorts of things can I have her do to her computer to make it so she is able to grab a 10.6.8 combo update off of Apple's servers. Assume she will not have a ethernet card for direct access to the cable modem, and dreads going against the crowds in the Louisville Apple Store. Also note I am 3000 miles away from her at the moment, so I can't work any of my magic on it either. :(

Any tips for what could make it work long enough to have software update sort out the [software induced] problems?

nDarkness

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Have her create a new network connection for the wireless card and see if that helps. System prefs=>networking is the path. Disable the old connection and then apply. If that works, updated and enjoy.

If it still doesn't work, try assigning a static ip in your router's range assuming you are using dhcp.

If that doesn't work let me know and we can try a few more things.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

David G.

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
Thank you you two, but the situation has resolved itself, and she upgraded to 10.6.8 plus all the other updates that were available. That should remedy the wifi problems 10.6.3 had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.