MacBook wifi issues when lid is open! MB or AirPort problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blueharvester, Sep 6, 2010.

1. blueharvester macrumors regular

Within the last few days I've been having issues with my wireless connection on my MacBook (aluminum unibody). I have an AirPort Extreme base station.

When I have my MB connected to my external monitor and the lid closed, the wifi works as normal. However, when I use the MacBook normally i.e. with the lid open, the wireless connection does not work. It even has trouble 'seeing' my wireless network. And when it does see the connection, it asks for the password but then gives a 'connection timeout' error.

My wife's ThinkPad (wireless G) connects fine to the Airport network, as do our iPhone 4s. Although, every now and then, the wifi connection drops on the iPhones.

I don't know whether the problem lies with my AirPort Extreme, or with my MacBook? I just find it really strange that the connection works perfectly when the MB lid is closed. If anything I thought it would have been the opposite.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

P.S. I've already carried out a factory reset on the AirPort Extreme.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Seems to me like a MB issue. Not an AEBS issue.

3. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

So I guess the first thing I should do is to try and connection to different wireless networks to see if the MB works as expected.

4. macbook037 macrumors newbie

I think you should contact the Center. The problem may be built or that the Air port.:rolleyes:

5. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

I'm almost sure this is a MB issue. All other devices are connecting fine to the AirPort network.

Is it possible to change the AirPort card inside the MB? My MB is still covered by Apple Care.

6. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, think I've sorted it. I changed the channel on the AEBS from Automatic (which selected 1) to 13 and all seems to be working again.

It could be possible that someone in our area has recently got wifi and this was interfering. Although I'm confused as to why it only interfered with the AEBS and the MB?! Strange.