Macbook wifi keeps dropping, while another macbook is ok

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zhenyoochka, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Zhenyoochka macrumors newbie

Hi, my macbook wireless internet stops working every few minutes. it started about a a week ago. I have to turn my airport off and then turn it back on to resume connection. My macbook is the original one 1.83 Ghz. My neighbor has a newer macbook and she doesn't seem to be having any issues. i tried plugging in directly and it worked well, so it has to do with the wireless connection. I had the same issue a little over a year ago and replaced the router back then and it fixed the problem. I would think it's the router, except my neighbor isn't having problems.

Another thing.... i spilled liquid on my keyboard two months ago and had my motherboard replaced. Would that affect my ability to connect? My apple remote isn't working anymore with my laptop since that, while it works with other machines. The tech who who worked on my macbook didn't know what the issue was. I don't know whether the two problems are related or not. I would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance!

2. Mr Rich macrumors newbie

Depending on the model, the airport cards are located in different places. Older models used to have specific flaps for them because they weren't always shipped with airport cards.

It is probably under the battery when you take that you, so you should be able to unscrew and check that the airport card hasn't come loose.

However, I would doubt this is the problem if you actually have a connection at times. From how it sounds to me, this problem is usually due to airport software not being up to date. Plug into the router to get a connection, run a software update and make sure everything is current, see if it solves the problem.