Macbook WiFi Problems (Airport card and USB Adapters)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BreakTheChains, Dec 25, 2009.

1. BreakTheChains macrumors newbie

For a long time my Airport card in my Macbook has continued to drop any connection unless if I'm very close to the router. Usually I can be about 20 feet away before it drops which has at least allowed me to be somewhat mobile around my home.

Today I got a new wireless-N router and a wireless-N adapter. When I am in the same room as the router using the adapter, I get an excellent and super fast connection. When I go in my room (which is downstairs at the other end of the house) my connection on the adapter drops. Sometimes I can get a little connection but usually it's just dead. The weird thing is, that all my other devices in my room, including my iPod Touch, still work on the old G router which I still have connected. The N router with whatever times range still doesn't work.

The problem persists in Windows as well. Here's the really weird part though. My brother's computer gets a 100% connection using the adapter while in my room (Windows Vista Gateway Laptop). So it's become obvious to me that the problem is with my computer but I can't imagine what it could possibly be. The adapter isn't even in the case! All of my other USB devices work very well so it couldn't be a problem with not getting enough power right? My router's antennae are optimized to direct the signal right into my room also.

If anyone has any ideas whatsoever, please let me know so I can try to get this problem fixed before I go crazy. Thanks in advance!

Macbook with 2.0ghz Core Duo Processor
    Wireless Adapter: TEW-644UB Wireless-N USB Adapter
    Router: TEW-639GR Wireless-N Router

I don't remember what Airport card I have. It isn't the N one. I got the laptop right before they released the Core 2 Duo laptops with the new wireless card. So it only supports a/b/g.

2. pockyrevolution macrumors member

I think the usb adapter you got has different drivers for Windows and Mac, so that is why your brother's windows laptop can connect. Maybe their Mac driver has problems.

On your 802.11n router, is it set to 5 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz? 5 Ghz is not great for penetrating solid objects and walls, so you should set it to 2.4ghz or "Mixed 802.11g/n" mode.

3. rhythm12345 macrumors newbie

It might be possible that usb adapter you got has different drivers for Windows and Mac

sell used laptop