Macbook wifi slower when lid is closed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KipCoon, Oct 22, 2007.

1. KipCoon macrumors regular

KipCoon

Anyone use an external monitor on their macbook and keep the laptop closed?

I just picked up a 24" gateway to use as my primary monitor on my core 2 duo macbook and ever since I have been using this and closed the laptop, my wifi connection has significantly slowed down, just in general browsing.

Any ideas?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The top case/screen is probably blocking the wifi signal making it weaker causing a slowdown.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've never really heard much mention of this before, but it makes some sense. The AirPort antenna is in the display bezel, near the top of the side when the screen is in the open position, allowing for optimal reception. When the laptop is closed, the antenna isn't positioned as well and may have trouble maintaining a consistent connection to the base station.

Maybe play around with the positioning of either the MacBook or the wireless transmitter and see if that helps?

4. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

when I use my macbook with my ACD I find that everything really is much faster, so I;m not sure

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Tinker with the orientation. It makes a big difference in WiFi. Try propping the closed MacBook up on its hinge. That would give it the same profile as when its open.

6. Chanowitz macrumors member

Chanowitz

same with mine i just repositioned it on my deskt it helps alot