Macbook wifi upgrade w/ Leopard or no?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Schtibbie, May 3, 2008.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

So, I'm pretty sure my Macbook doesn't have that wifi-N thing that Apple is charging a couple dollars for (any way I can tell?) I've got the 2Gz Core 2 Duo. Anyway, I was thinking of getting the update for no particular reason other than to stay current on wifi drivers but then I thought - does Leopard already come with this? IOW, if I *don't* upgrade my already-built-in "n" wifi with the driver, will leopard as an upgrade go ahead and do that, or no?

2. 36183 Guest

spotlight "network utility"

and look in the bottom left of the info page.

3. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

It says "Wireless Network Adapter (802.11 a/b/g)", so obviously I don't yet have the "N" stuff. Anyway, I'm thinking of upgrading to Leopard at some point so I guess if I do that and it still says "a/b/g" afterwards, I'll know I needed to go buy this 2 or 3 dollar firmware thing as well..

4. imMAColata macrumors member

If Im not mistaken, all MacBooks of the 2nd revision and forward has 802.11n built in. It was just disabled in the beginning. The first version of the MacBook was build using Core Duo (Yonah). You got it 1,83GHz and 2,0GHz versions with 60GB harddrives and 512MB ram. This one has 802.11b/g and cannot be upgraded. I had one of these for 5 days but returned it due to the big problems the MacBooks suffered from in that period.

The 2nd revision is Core 2 Duo (Merom), still 1,83GHz with 512MB/60GB and 2,0GHz but with 1GB/80GB. This one was born with 802.11g that could later be upgraded to 802.11n.

3rd revision bumped base speeds up to 2,0GHz for lowest model and 80GB harddrive with 1GB ram. This was 802.11n and the version I ended up with.

4th revision introduced Santa Rosa.

5th revision was just made. Got 2,1GHz now I think. 120GB hd.

5. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I have. 74.21gig Hard drive and 2.0Ghz c2d. It can apparently be upgraded to "N" on the wifi but this is what I'm trying to figure out - whether an upgrade to Leopard will in itself take care of that firmware update or not. I'm guessing not, as Leopard is an OS and firmware is firmware.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Leopard does add the n capability. I haven't purchased the $2 upgrade, and I have the same MB you do. I just checked network utility and it says a/b/g/n.

7. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

wait i dont understand hes saying his macbook doesnt have a airport or?:confused: lmao nvm derrrrrrrr but how do u do this

8. imMAColata macrumors member

Well, get Leopard and see. You can always purchase the 2 dollar upgrader if you dont get it with the new os.