macbook will go to black screen unless i tilt my keyboard....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jasonfodor, Aug 19, 2015.

1. jasonfodor macrumors newbie

have a macbook retina...as of two days ago my screen will go black (usually 1-2x a day...i'm on it 8 hours a day). But if i tilt my keyboard towards me...it brings the screen back up.

talked to apple support and they told me a "switch" which decides if my lid is opened/closed is messed up. is there such a "switch"? how do i go about fixing it?

just background info...i ended up buying a replacement bottom case because a rubber foot fell off and according to Apple for macbook retina's the rubber feet aren't replaceable beause they are built into the case. Apple wanted me to pay $35 for shipping, $199 for them to unscrew 8 screws and screw them back on, and I hung up while he put me on hold to see how much the bottom case part was.
    I ended up getting a case for $25 bucks on ebay, i was able to screw it on but it wouldn't sit flat on a desk and i found out the case wasn't right. But guess what? I was able to take a rubber foot off the new case and put it on my old case (fit's perfect) and i put my original case back on. But looks like I messed up this "switch"

2. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

You've ruined your warranty so your only option is to send it in for them to fix. You also now have an after market part fitted so you might get kick back.

I say put the old one back on, then send it in.