MacBook will no longer sleep...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jormungard, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Jormungard macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, had a quick search about this but no solutions.

I recently got a USB hub for my C2D MacBook, plugged into it are a WD Elements drive and an Apple keyboard and mighty mouse.

Previously when I hit sleep or closed the lid, the laptop would fall silent within a few seconds, then the white light would pulsate, and when I needed to use it again the laptop would awaken in a few seconds and be ready to use. It used a bit of battery life over a few hours but no big deal to me.

Now when I have the USB hub plugged in, it's like it hibernates like Windows, taking some time to completely power off then when I hit the power button a progress bar appears and it slowly comes back to life, during which time the fans ramp up high.

Is there any way to bring back the old sleep with the USB hub plugged in? Saves me having to unplug it each night before I put it to sleep.

Thanks for any help.
    Ben

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Er.... Im guessing its an issue with the USB Power Managmement!

Try plugging the HDD directly in the second USB Port of your MacBook!

Also, is the hub self powered or not?

3. Jormungard thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to mention that, it's self powered, haven't tried it without the mains adaptor in.

4. Jormungard thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update, tried putting it to sleep without external (just bus) power going to the hub... and it works! This will become a problem with bus powered devices obviously.

Does anyone know if this is a hub thing or an OSX problem?