Macbook will not boot anymore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by claeskensmatteo, Oct 22, 2011.

1. claeskensmatteo, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

claeskensmatteo macrumors newbie

Hey,

Briefly outline the problem:

One day I was working with my MB (version 2009) when sudden my spacebar and backspace no longer worked. Thought it was a software problem because I was surfing the web, I have not paid close attention to that but a bit later, the arrow keys failed also. Anyway still not a disaster, I restart later. But my battery was almost flat so my MB fell out. I then plugged it into the socket and when I got it to start the gray startup screen typical for Lion. But I saw that the "breathing" light suddenly went out on the front, and not much later, my laptop. Restart and the same situation ...
    Then I discovered that if I stayed tapping any key that the system fully booted. Once arrived on the desktop, my laptop always gived me the following warning "are you sure you want to shut your computer, standby, cancel ,..." A warning that I had never seen it, I suppose this is a warning when your battery is flat, that you get to see, but it was plugged into the power so it could not. When I did nothing with the MB it felled out. When I wanted to start him he no longer responded. Just black screen ... Battery indicator lights indicated that he was charged, what was true but otherwise no life.

With this story I am drawn to the Apple store and they went to investigate.
    Now yesterday I got the solution they proposed. € 425 (incl VAT). The repairs they suggested I find a bit on the strange, so my question is, can the proposed repairs be the cause that my MB will not boot? Below is the full specification of the bill:

Hours: 2 X 80 = 160euro (ex vat)

Housing, Top Case, with Keyboard, backlit, Flemish 191.63 euros (ex VAT)

So it was with the housing, top case, ... according to them. Monday I will have to pass by because the repairmen don't work in the weekends ... They will tell me more. But what do you think?

It's a premium reseller, not a real apple store.

2. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

It sounds like you don't trust the repair place you're taking it to. The keyboard is part of the topcase assembly on Mac Books, so if its the keyboard then yes the whole topcase needs to be replaced.

Did they take it from you and diagnose it? Or did they just tell you "It probably is the topcase, and here's our quote" without actually looking at it?

3. claeskensmatteo thread starter macrumors newbie

No, my MB was in for a week so they did examine it but you're right, i don't trust them.

But do you believe that a MB that will not start is the result of a malfunctioning keyboard?

4. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Yes the power button is part of the topcase too. So that would make it not power on. As for powers on but just won't boot it's possible that the topcase is shorting something out, but most likely that would be something else like a hard drive issue.

If they don't fix it then you don't have to pay for the repair. However you may have to pay the diagnostic fee.

Are they an Apple certified repair shop? The reason I ask that is if they play games with you and are incompetent repairing computers then you can take it up with Apple.

5. claeskensmatteo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes if i don't let them repair it, i would have to pay 80euros...

Yes they are a certified premium reseller. The belgium Apple site reffers to them.
    It's a shop that lacks friendliness...

But I can see that you believe that what they suggest may be true. I will call them this Monday to talk with the repair man. I surely hope that for that money i'dont lose my data...

6. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

yes, it sounds like it could well be the keyboard considering the power button is on top there. if this has had any liquid spilled on it you may really be in trouble