Macbook will not boot on USB thumbdrive...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xiaobao12, Jul 17, 2010.

1. xiaobao12 macrumors newbie

hi all,

i was able to upgrade successfully from leopard to snow leopard with a USB thumb drive when my internal HD died in my macbook pro a few weeks ago.

i am now trying to upgrade my wife's macbook to snow leopard (from tiger) but i cannot get startup manager to recognize the drive!

the bizarre thing is that the thumb drive is recognized just fine in finder (this includes disk utility and even system preferences) on her macbook. i can even double click the mac os x icon on the thumb drive and it will ask me to press restart to proceed with installation of snow leopard.

however, after the computer restarts, it just loads right into the tiger os desktop.

i've tried holding down the option key, resetting the PRAM, etc. nothing works.

does anybody have any ideas? thanks very much in advance..

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What is the source of your OS on the thumb drive?

3. xiaobao12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi MisterMe,

I'm not sure what you mean by source...I made the thumbdrive GUID partition with Disk Utility and an image of my install disc. Does that answer your question?

TIA.

4. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Did you go into System Preferences and try changing the startup disk?

5. xiaobao12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guitar,

I did try that already...it restarts, then boots directly to the Tiger desktop.:confused:

6. phatqao macrumors member

phatqao

Also, there's an open-source program called rEFIt that prompts you for the boot volume when you start your computer...that could be helpful

http://refit.sourceforge.net/

7. xiaobao12 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi phatqao,

i will attempt to try to restart with refit and post back. thanks for your help.

8. xiaobao12 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm.....refit will load but as with before, the USB drive does not show up. Only the MAC HD shows up.

:mad::mad::mad::mad: