Macbook will not load up os X. Have tried everything I can find online!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by todder, Nov 18, 2008.

1. todder macrumors newbie

I have a standard macbook running Leopard and have been unable to get past the apple start-up screen. The computer boots up and the icon and loading gear appear but no matter how long I leave it, it doesn't want to load up.

I encountered the problem after doing an archive and install with my 10.5 install disk then trying to do a 10.5.5 update. I went to change a time and date setting and the computer suddenly asked to be shut off. Since then I cannot get it to load up. I read somewhere after the fact that playing with settings while doing an update can corrupt some system files...

I have tried restarting the system in safe mode and with the install disk but it still doesn't boot, I have reset the PRAM and NVRAM a couple of times to no avail and I have loaded up single-user mode and run a variety of different fsck commands...all of which show up 'no problems' on the drive.

Strangely, I have a partitioned disk that runs XP and if I press option when loading up I can access that system with no complications. If I look in 'My Computer' My OS X drive doesn't even appear!

Can anyone suggest anything I haven't tried or is this in the 'too-hard-send-it-back' basket?

Cheers

Todder

2. Bwilky macrumors regular

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Are you saying you changed the time on the MacBook while doing the 10.5.5 update ?

If so then you have screwed up OSX - but I do not understand why it will not boot from your install disk - is this a retail copy of Leopard you are using ?

4. Parsec macrumors member

If your system still boots into XP, it should be functioning correctly. It just won't start OSX. Perhaps you should try re-installing. Your Mac drive should not appear in XP by default anyway unless you installed MacDrive or something in XP.

If you can boot from your OSX DVD, then you can also run a hardware test. It should uncover most hardware failures.

5. todder thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Turns out, my install dvd was dodgy, so it worked fine once I got my hands on another one. I ended up doing an archive and install and I'm good to go again.

Moral of the story...don't play with settings while doing an update. Learned it the hard way I guess...

Todder

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

:confused:

Anyone else as confused as I am how you can get a copy of a "dodgy" Leopard DVD then get another one?

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

No - not really ;)

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

:p

9. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

:eek: