MacBook will not read the original DVD's

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by elund, Nov 24, 2010.

1. elund macrumors newbie

Hi :)

I have changed the harddisk in my daughter's 3 year old 13" white MacBook, because the old harddisk died.
    So far so good. The problem is now that the MacBook will not read the original OSX86 DVD.

What can the reason be to that Macbook throws out the Original DVD?
    I have tried to borrow another original DVD from a friend with almost the same result.
    I have only been able to read this DVD twice and now it seems impossible again.

The MacBook kan read a Linux (Kubuntu) CD every time.
    The hardware must be OK, since I managed to install Kubuntu on the MacBook.

I have tried to reset NVRAM without any luck.

What do I have of possibilities to get OSX86 reinstalled on the MacBook?

I was thinking of booting the Macbook from USB and made a bootable Linux USB stick that works fine on my Win7 PC.
    But the MacBook will not recognize this USB stick in the "Startup Manager", which appears after pressing "Option" during startup.

If the MacBook vil not recognize a bootable Linux USB, then it will probably not recognize a bootable OSX86 USB either or what???

The fat is in the fire!

Thanks in advance,
    Elund

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Could be a faulty optical drive - not unusual for MacBooks to read cds ok but will spit out dvds.

Probably the easiest way is to instal OSX via target mode (using another Mac, connected by firewire and using the other Macs optical drive).

3. elund thread starter macrumors newbie

:cool: Nice Tip! I was not aware of that possibility. I will use Google to find a good tutorial on this subject :)

4. elund thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a short summary...

I have succeeded with booting OSx86 from a USB harddisk.
    First I get cheated by that the MacBook wouldn't recognize a bootable Linux USB stick.

To make a bootable OSx86 USB disk from Windows I had to use a program called Transmac.
    Many people write on the net, that you can use programs such as PowerISO and UltraISO, but I couldn't get it to work.

Finally is it a fact that the optical drive get faulty at the same time as the harddisk. The MacBook can now only read CD's - that is no DVD's.