Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gooden

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hello all,

I was working on my Macbook about 2 hours, I set it down on the desk and went for some dinner, I came back to a pretty much 'Dead' Macbook, screen was black and will not start up, no noises when starting, when plugged into the charger it still doesn't work, I have full battery as well. Really don't know what to do, has all my college work on which has its deadline in a week!

All help is appreciated
Steve

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Does anything at all happen when you hit the power button?

Regardless, it may be a good idea to take the hdd out and plug it into another computer and pull the data off it. That way you can at least get your work done.

Gooden

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hello,

Nothing happens at all, no noises or anything.
But when the charger is in, its green also if the battery is out the charger still shows its green!

I haven't a clue what happened to it!

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Can you take the battery out? I get confused about which models you can take the battery out of. Anyway, try taking out the battery, hit the power button to drain any residual power (or just let it sit for a few minutes) and try again. Tha battery may have spazzed for some reason.

Gooden

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
I'll take out the battery now and leave it for a few mins,
I really hope its not kaput because I don't have much spare cash laying around, Student loan here I come :p

Cheers for the help so far!

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Back in '86(?) I had a 10mb (yes, megabyte) external hard drive attached to my mac and it caught fire. I'm talking enough flames for a girl scout weenie roast. :D

Gooden

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Nope, Nothing happened. This is very bad times, I guess there is not much I can do now is there? It wouldn't need a new battery would it? I'm sure it wouldn't but who knows!

Even worse, I am out of warranty! How could I check if its the battery? If it is the on board supply, would it be best to buy a new one?

Cheers

Gooden

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Still no luck with it,
Any more help is appreciated :)
Thanks Guys

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
Still no luck with it,
Any more help is appreciated :)
Thanks Guys

I don't know if MacBooks work in the same fashion, but with various notebooks in the office we can sometimes get them to come back to life by removing the power supply, battery and holding the power button down for 30 seconds. I believe this drains all juice from the system and does a reset of sorts on the PSU. Then replace the battery, the power and try to start it up.

If this doesn't work I'd take it into you nearest Apple store and see if they can help. Is your MacBook still under warranty?

Gooden

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hello,

I will try that out now,
Also the Macbook is not under warranty, if it is motherboard issues, any idea of the costs of repairs?

I took the battery out and held down the button, nothing happened :(
The battery is still full though so I don't think its that!

Thanks

Gooden

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hello,

The motherboard is dead, so needs a repair, but it is expensive. Will more than likely buy a new Macbook. The question is will the hardrive fit in another Macbook & Macbook Pro so I wouldn't have to pay PC World £100 to get the data off my hardrive!

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.