MACBOOK will not turn on completely - please help!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GRECOGUY, Jul 19, 2010.

1. GRECOGUY macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased a new macbook without the MAC OS X Install Disks. So, I tried resetting the original username and password while using the recommended "back door" method. It didn't work, now the macbook will not turn on completely.

It powers on, but only gets to the white page with the apple. Than it powers off and then goes back to the white page. It will continue doing this but will not turn on all the way.

How can I fix this so I can install the new MAC OS X Install Disks?

Thanks!

2. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Hmmmm... sounds like a stolen computer. Did you make sure it worked before "buying" it?

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Put in the install disc, and hold C (or option) when you turn on the machine.

4. GRECOGUY thread starter macrumors newbie

Not Stolen...

It did work and it was functioning when I purchased it. It did have all of the owners information on it. I believe the original OS X is 10.5.8. I now have the 10.6 DVD.

I have installed the DVD and held the C key, but when I try installing, it is listing that it cannot use the OS X.

Any ideas?

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Are you certain that it is a MacBook and not an iBook? If it is a MacBook, where in the installation process is it preventing you from installing the OS? (Does the install disk load?)

6. GRECOGUY thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook

Yes, it is a 13" MacBook.

It has Mac OS X 10.5.8. I have the Mac OS x 10.6.3 DVD

This is far as I have gotten:

Part One: Installing the operating system

1. Power on the computer.
    2. Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD into the optical drive.
    3. Restart your computer.
    4. Hold down the Option key while the computer starts up.
    5. Select the OS X Install DVD and click the arrow underneath it to boot to the install DVD.

It then tells me that I cannot install the Mac OS X on this computer.

Thanks for your help in advance.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's odd. Is the Snow Leopard disk an official Apple disk? If so, perhaps try to get replacement disks.

8. GRECOGUY thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is an official disk. Where can I get the replacement disks?

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd setup a Genius Bar appointment at your nearest Apple Store. Bring your MacBook and the Snow Leopard disk and show them your problem.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Seems like the Snow Leopard install disc that you have belongs to another computer. As far as I know, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the RETAIL Snow Leopard disc is still 10.6.0 (or original version number); there is no 10.6.3 RETAIL disc so that is likely the reason why you get the message that you can't install OS X on that computer. You will need the RETAIL version of Snow Leopard to install on your MacBook.

11. GRECOGUY thread starter macrumors newbie

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Actually, the newest Snow Leopard install disks have 10.6.3 if I'm not mistaken. I bought a Snow Leopard disk a few weeks ago and recall it having 10.6.3 on it.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nice to know.

To OP: Did you try to reformat the partition or check Disk Utility to see if there are any errors on the HDD?

14. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Insert the OS X disc. Boot off of it. Then select your language. Then proceed as if you are installing it. Then, in the top bar, select utilities. Then select disk utility. Then reformat the hard drive with one partition and the GUID partition table...

15. GRECOGUY thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I be able to check that? If I did borrow the software from a friend, would it not work?

16. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Does the Snow Leopard disk look like this?
    [​IMG]

17. GRECOGUY thread starter macrumors newbie

No it does not... It says MacBook Pro!!! Maybe that is the problem...

I am thinking I should just purchase the Mac Box Set with Snow Leopard. What do you think?

18. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

This is precisely your problem. You need to purchase a retail Snow leopard disc for $30 from Apple, BestBuy, MicroCenter, Fry's, or any other computer store that sells Macs and Mac accessories.

You only need to buy the Snow Leopard disc, if the computer already has it installed... But, if you plan to erase the drive and start from the beginning, you should buy the box set....

19. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's your problem. You can only use install disks for your specific computer or the retail disk.

That would work. You could also get Snow Leopard by itself if you don't need iLife and iWork.

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

LOL, I guess it would've been wise for one of us to ask him what the discs look like at the start huh iBook? HAH.

But as I was hinting at with my original post, if you had a Snow Leopard install disc from another computer, all you would need is a RETAIL version of Snow Leopard for you to install it on your MacBook; no need for the box set.

21. GRECOGUY thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone who has replied with positive feedback and your help! My last question here is your input on purchasing Snow Leopard. If it has It has Mac OS X 10.5.8, is it fine to purchase the Snow Leopard. Should that solve my problem?

Thank you for your help, I am very new to this!

22. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, any intel Mac (Which you have) will work with Snow Leopard. So you are fine there and it will solve your problem :)

23. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Yes you can purchase Snow Leopard and have it function correctly. You are very welcome! :D

24. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Awww darn you beat me to it... Not by much though :mad:...

25. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes. Like iBook said, if you just want Snow Leopard, just getting the RETAIL version is fine but if you want iLife/iWork then it would be cheaper to just get the box set; it's up to you and what you want but I think you're just looking for the operating system to get you back up and running.