Macbook will not turn on/ won't charge

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dandonny, Jan 27, 2011.

1. dandonny macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    hey guys,

i have had this problem for a few weeks now where i cannot turn on my laptop.
    i go to the back to check if there is any battery left and only one green light flashes(no power). when i plug in my charger no orange light pops up but a green light does which just makes no sense because the battery is flat. It is not the charger though because i have tried my dad's macbook charger which doesn't seem to work either. Also the computer is un-usable atm because it also does not work when a charger is pugged in.

I think the problem must be to do with the battery and am thinking about replacing, but i would like to know what everybody else thinks before i go spending my money on a battery that may not fix my problem?

Thanks in advance
  2. logana macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2006
    Unlikely to be the battery so I would not buy a new one......

Take the battery out and connect the charger and it will turn green but presumably it wont start up ?

Sounds like a logicboard fault. The battery charging circuitry is on the main logicboard.

The fact that it wont startup also sound like another logicboard fault although it could be a faulty topcase to logicboard ribbon cable.......
  3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

Pay particular attention to the section on "CHARGING".
  4. dandonny thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    Still not working

hey guys,

thanks for the replies.
    the weirdest thing happened 5 days ago, i went to show somebody what the problem was and it suddenly turned on, i didn't even press the on button. the computer was magically fixed, and it was now able to charge. the computer worked for the next day perfectly normal.
    the next day when i go to turn it on the same problem was there(it will not turn on). although now it has full battery.
    i have no idea what is going on and it is still broken 3 days later.
    if anybody knows or has an idea what is wrong could you please get back to me,
    Thanks in advance.
  5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    Now it definitely sounds like some kind of logic board issue.
    Is it possible to take it into an Apple Store?
  6. dandonny thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    Yes, i can take it into an apple store but just a bit short on money n it costs $75 just for them to have a look at it!
    if it is to do with the logicboard, how much do you think it would set me back to fix?

7. tug macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2010
    loughborough. u.k.
    hey, they shouldn't charge you for just looking, they only charge if they have to work on it. hope it turns out ok for you though.