Macbook will not wake up from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by a1rflow, Apr 27, 2011.

1. a1rflow macrumors member

Hi all,

I started noticing this problem about a week ago when I closed my laptop to put it to sleep. The next time I opened it, the computer failed to wake up from sleep and I would have to connect the AC adapter and hit the power button multiple times to start it up again.

I understand that MBP's usually shutdown if there's not enough power, but this isn't the case. I often find that even with my laptop completely charged (I charge it overnight and the magsafe adapter shows the green, not orange, light) I still am unable to wake up the macbook from sleep, forcing me to hold down the power button multiple times in order to wake the laptop up.

I brought it to an Apple Store yesterday to see a Genius guy and he ran a couple diagnostic tests and said that my battery was fine. He proceeded to delete my "sleep image" file (after stating that it was a whopping 4gb) and that fixed the problem temporarily, but now the problem has come back.

Today I opened my laptop again attempting to wake it up from sleep, and running into the same problem, closed the laptop (to put it back into sleep), and found that it continued to stay awake - the sleep light was not blinking, it was constantly on like it was running programs or something.

I have an appointment again at the Apple store tomorrow, but I was wondering if I could receive any troubleshooting ideas from anyone else.

Thanks!

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

When you open the lid, does the light come on and stay on as if the Mac has woken up? Does the Mac make sounds like it would had it just been woken up? (hard drive, CD / DVD spinning, etc)

If so this could be a Logic Board issue.

3. a1rflow thread starter macrumors member

Yes and no. When I open the lid usually the light comes on, but other times the light fails to turn on at all. At this point I usually hold the power button and force restart the whole thing.

4. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

This happened to me (MacBook 5.1. MB446ZP/A.)

Run terminal

type

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

and every few days...

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

and i think you moved your computer BEFORE the sleep engages. that can cause a LOT of problems. especially with a slow hard drive

5. a1rflow thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Mobius,

I tried that and it works for now. If the problem comes up again I'll reply back with another post!

6. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

what he said. Moving a laptop is always a bad idea (i.e. walking around with it open, upside down, etc). Most efficient way to kill a hard drive. put it to sleep, make sure it's asleep (pulsing led) and do what you want after that point

7. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

err just a warning.

That's fast sleep lol

It keeps the RAM contents by battery, so it'll consume more battery power in sleep mode.

but it's not noticeable. so it's OK

8. stavman, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

stavman macrumors newbie