MacBook will only charge occasionally

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
It has been happening for 3 days now, my MacBook will decide when it wants to charge and when it doesn't. At first I thought it had to do with it doing some prosesser intensive stuff but today just under a normal load (10% of CPU) it still won't charge (which is a problem cuz im at 4%). As I have been typing this the LED light on the MagSafe cord is blinking erraticly. 2 weeks ago I installed 2 gigs of ram and everything has been fine so would that have anything to do with this?

EDIT: Ive tried restarting it, and making sure there were nothing in the MagSafe port.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Do you leave the power adapter plugged into one outlet for a long period of time? The adapter needs to be moved around a bit and used in different outlets because if you let it sit in one outlet for a long time, they go on the fritz and flash between the charging and charged colors.

I'd find the TUAW article on it if I could.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Warbrain said:
Do you leave the power adapter plugged into one outlet for a long period of time? The adapter needs to be moved around a bit and used in different outlets because if you let it sit in one outlet for a long time, they go on the fritz and flash between the charging and charged colors.
Thanks, I was trying that today. Not much luck. Most of the time its fine when its on my desk, but when I use it on my lap the slightest movement will create the spasms. Also Ive noticed it gets REALLY REALLY hot ON the magsafe part, along with 1/2 inch of the cord. So Im thinking its getting over heated, should I go to the Applestore with this problem?