Macbook wireless ac transfer speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cosmicjoke, Mar 1, 2016.

1. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

So I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) and a 2012 Mac Mini. The Mini is wired via ethernet to my 802.11ac and my Retina is running over wifi. What kind of transfer speed would you imagine copying files from the mini to the macbook would be appropriate, sitting about 6 feet away from it, full bars, nothing obstructing its view.... At best I hit 20MB/s, even walking the macbook right over to the router. I expected better, I dunno, it's just not really outperforming my gen 5 AEBS that broke on me this week.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

ac, you should be seeing roughly 120MBps.

No idea what 'AEBS' is.

Plug mini directly into MacBook Pro, set static IP's on wired interfaces for each, turn wifi off on MacBook Pro (and confirm it"s off on mini), and test. If you get same speeds, it's not the router or wifi adapters.

3. cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

I made separate 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks and then found unused channels in my neighborhood and my speed went from 15MB/s to 65MB/sec, about as fast as you can expect from an old 6tb firewire external raid. Problems solved. Calling apple sure didn't help.

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

WiFi can be a pain in the butt to troubleshoot. I use the copy of Netspot Pro I got as part of one those app bundles that was on Stacksocial a while ago to troubleshoot them. It's pretty expensive as a standalone purchase, but worth it if you can get it as part of a bundle of other useful apps. It comes in very handy to pinpoint dead spots in a network.