macbook wireless, connects but no internet or mail

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sicemthomas, Nov 22, 2007.

1. sicemthomas macrumors newbie

I have a 7 or so month old macbook, OS 10.4.11. Aside from some stalling some at my own house, I do not usually have any wireless problems. I am visiting my parents for Thanksgiving, and they have a brand new Linksys WRT54GX2 with WPA protection. I have no problems connecting to the wireless network, but once connected, I cannot access the internet through either safari or firefox and cannot connect via apple mail. I can, however, connect to the 192.168.1.1 router utility and can be pinged by another laptop. Also, I've used terminal to check packet loss and have 0% loss. I've changed the router to channel 5 as well. As far as our internet connection goes, I'm typing this on a pc notebook connected via the same router and directly next to my mac right now. Also, we have a few other pc's connected with no problem. Any advice?

thanks,

thomas

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do they have any different proxy settings? Maybe create a fresh location and try from there. Check the proxy settings of the PCs and match it up with your Mac. :)

3. sicemthomas thread starter macrumors newbie

the pc's using the wireless connection have no proxy settings and are able to access the internet. any other ideas?

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

does it get an IP address from the router? im having a similar problem, other computers can connect but my MBP can not, even someone else sitting right next to me can connect but i cant get an IP, it says connected, but it assigns its own IP

5. sicemthomas thread starter macrumors newbie

problem fixed

The problem was the router. It began kicking the pc's off and a bit of research showed that the router has some bunk, but unreplacable, firmware. We just replaced it with an el cheapo linksys, and everything works fine.