Macbook Wireless Woes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Roadster, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Roadster macrumors newbie

I recently got a broadband connection, complete with wireless modem. Since then, I have not been able to connect my Macbook to the wireless network at all - even after seeing the network and inputting the correct password. I get different errors - sometimes it's 'connection timeout', or otherwise a simple 'connection failed'. Once I even managed to get connected... for about five seconds. It's not a problem with my modem, as my other wireless devices connect fine.

It's a known problem apparently, and I've looked all over for solutions (some say it's a keychain problem with the password) and tried everything I can think of, and I still haven't managed to sort it out. Ethernet cable works fine, but it's quite inconvenient for me to use on a regular basis. Can anyone help at all? I'm considering buying another router and connecting it to my existing modem, would that help? It's the only problem I have with my Macbook, so any help/ solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I should point out that I had these problems on Tiger, and recently upgrading to Leopard (and installing all the latest updates) doesn't seem to have fixed the issue.

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Can you see the wireless connection in your Airport menu?

Does it connect at all?

4. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Goto your keychain and remove all trace of your router from it.

Then rescan for the network and try to connect.

Make sure you have the right encryption type selected when inputting the key.

If you're using WEP, move to WPA.

5. Roadster thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using WPA - I can see the connection, just can't connect to it (even with the right password). I've even tried through network diagnostics.

AndyK - I've already tried the keychain solution, didn't work. Unless there's a another way I should be removing the keychain?

6. thbt macrumors newbie

I have the same problem.

I've found that the wifi in the Macbook just isn't as robust as it is in Windows. I've gone through two routers, one a crappy old Netgear and a brand new Linksys WRT54GL... my Windows boxes connect to both flawlessly, but it takes more finagling with the Mac... depending on its mood, it doesn't detect a router sometimes, or it gives a "Connection Timeout" message, or sometimes even "Invalid Password" when I know the password is correct.

Restoring the router's default settings (doing a full NVRAM erase, in the case of my Linksys router) seems to have fixed the problem... for now. I'd give that a try... let me know how it goes for you.