Macbook Wireless

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hustle, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Hustle macrumors 6502a

I've got a problem with my Macbook. Since I upgraded to Leopard, when I'm connected to my Netgear Wireless Router, the internet will go on and off. The Macbook seas its always connected to the box, but I sometimes get a message saying cannot connect to server or watever in Safari/Firefox.

Anyone know why.

Its the up-to-date leopard 10.5.1

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

The same thing is happening to me! I'm connected to a Netgear router as well. Have no problem with my AirPort Extreme though. I guess this could be a Netgear issue.

3. jeff3221 macrumors regular

The same thing with my netgear router. All of a sudden I lose my internet and so does every computer on my network. Then I have to just unplug and plug the router back in and everything works fine. Some aipport problems will be addressed on 10.5.2

4. donotronix macrumors newbie

This is happening to me, too, and it's making me pull my hair out a little more every time.

5. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I have a DG834 router/modem with an airport express unit tethered to it. I have an MBP, a PB, an MB and an iMac on my home network, all on Leopard and all have successfully succumbed to the same random Lost Network issues mentioned on this thread. This did NOT happen immediately after updating to 10.5, but has instead occurred over time.

The MB in particular is susceptible to losing a wifi connection when the lid is closed and then re-opened. On a number of occasions it brings up a box listing available networks but when I select the home network the connection fails. I have to toggle the airport connection or failing that restart the computer to get the connection back.

On my PB I randomly get "You are not connected to the internet" msg's..to recover I generally select bbc.co.uk which always comes up and then refresh the page I was trying to view. On one occasion it claimed to have a full strength airport connection but simultaneously could not access the internet. Restarts, toggling airport etc. did not work. In the end I ran the maintenance app MainMenu followed by a restart to get the connection back.

The MBP has increasingly not been able to connect to the home network, throwing up a panel of available networks, which generally works once I reselect the home network.

The iMac has a tethered ethernet connection and has therefore been the most stable of the lot. However I have had a couple random "You are not connected to the internet" messages.

I never had any such issues when on Tiger and my work thinkpad x60 (running XP) has no such issues when connected to my home network so I can only assume its something to do with Leopard & Airport.

I just hope to dear God it gets sorted in 10.5.2 because I'm tired of trying to explain to my kids how daddy has to restart the computers AGAIN before they can get back on to club penguin....

Vanilla

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you have airport express, you need to update the firmware.

Works great with Airport Extreme.

7. n00basaur macrumors regular

I have the same problem with my macbook and netgear router.

8. doteyes9 macrumors member

My netgear has the same problem. I can't stand it!

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've got a Macbook and a Netgear router, and I haven't had a problem. Then again, I'm using Tiger. I'm going to guess everyone with issues is using Leopard. If you're not willing (or able) to downgrade, you'll either have to switch routers or pray for a patch from Apple.

10. Smurfed macrumors regular

No need to pray, I'm pretty positive it's being fixed in 10.5.2

source: http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15882/53/

11. Zargot macrumors member

Happens on Tiger as well.

I'm running Tiger and every 10 minutes or so I lose connection to the net, although I'm still connected to the router. Power cycling the Airport card fixes the problem, but only for another 10 minutes or so... This started after the last security update.

Edit: Both routers I've connected to since this started happening are D-Links.

12. shatteredstar macrumors newbie

Also happens with Leopard and Linksys

I just purchased a brand new Linksys 802.11N router and I have been having the same problem as well. I have 10.5.1 so I dearly hope this is corrected with 10.5.2 and that it is not a Linksys problem.

Up until this point the only solution I've been able to find is to restart the computer. It always works for me but it is still a pain in the rear. I have tried to renew the IP address in Network Preferences but to no avail. I have also attempted to disable and re-enable the Airport and that also does not work.

I am a recent convert from Windows XP and I now have a 1st gen. Intel iMac as well as a MacBook and I love them. However, I find that I don't know MacOSX as well as I know XP. I guess I should have payed more attention in my Unix class.

Does anyone know when 10.5.2 will be released?

13. grantrobarts macrumors member

This thread really caught my eye, and even more so when I saw "netgear router" about 5 times. I am also connected to an 802.11N Netgear router and have had a lot of problems browsing the internet. I have been playing a lot of games on my computer, though, and haven't had a problem. But that has been in Windows on Boot Camp... so maybe it's a Leopard-specific issue.

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Change your wireless channel, change your wifi password and use a different security method (I use WPA). I use channel "1", it interferes with my wireless phone in my room, but I never had a wireless problem at all since I switched. My wifi router is located at the corner inside a drawer btw. I still get good signal everywhere in the house, even outside in my car.

This might help your problem or it might do nothing. It worked for me, solved my wifi issues.

Edit: Before anyone say its not a router fault because it works in vista or xp or whatever, it might be. My card worked fine in Windows but it didn't in OSX. Im not sure if its because it is having trouble communicating but try resetting the router/changing the settings. See if that does anything.

15. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Hopefully it fixes the wireless bug and hopefully it will be released somewhere around mid january maybe at steve's keynote on the 15th

16. dcp1970 macrumors newbie

problem solved

I had the same problem with my macbook pro and my netgear wireless router... so I called apple care and they told me that the macbook pro's are really sensitive to outside interference with the wireless signals and that's why the other computers in the house didn't have problems connecting. I would connect but after about 10 minutes I would loose the connection. I would have to restart the computer or reset the router.

Apple care had me go into the router settings and under wireless setting set the channel to 9... instead of auto (default). Then I disabled the N(it's a draft mode) setting on the router... which I believe the setting was (up to 54mbps) not too sure on that. That's also under the wireless setting tab on the router software.

That took care of the problem. Now it's working great no problems at all.

17. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I don't think wireless N or wireless G would have an impact. I'm running wireless N (130mbps) right now without any problems.