Macbook with $79 adapter work with USB to ethernet?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ra4oasis, Mar 10, 2015.

1. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

I'm running a Macbook Air (2011) right now, and considering a 13 in MBP and the new Macbook. If I bought the dongle that is $79, it would allow an external monitor (HDMI), charging, and the USB port. Since I have a USB to ethernet, do you think I could use both adapters together to get ethernet working on the machine? And if it DID work, would I be looking at slower ethernet speeds do you think?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's a standard usb3.1 port and will function as such. If you use a usb>Ethernet 10/100/1000 adapter it'll function at gigabit

3. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

It seem's possible, but may I ask. What do you plan on using your new computer for?

4. ra4oasis thread starter macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

Thats what I was thinking. So the $79 adapter with the USB to ethernet would basically mean I could get everything I need, like a dock, through the one USB-C connector. Hmmm. Decisions decisions.

----------

Well, I'd be using it for work, but like I said, I'm using a 4 year old machine now, which is still working just fine. Work is just offering to buy me a new machine because of it's age. Since power-wise I'm still okay now, I'm thinking the new Macbook would give me a little more power than I have now, plus more portability, not to mention that retina display, which I long for.

5. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Well depending on the specifics of what you do. I'd be more concerned on whether the macbook would be powerful enough for what you do. The 13 inch rMBP would serve you fine for years to come if the 2011 air served you well.

6. ra4oasis thread starter macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

I work in IT, but I spend most of my day remoted into servers/other Windows machines with Microsoft Remote Desktop. So my computer doesn't do any heavy lifting. The only thing my current 2011 Air really does is handle web browsing, Remote Desktop'ing, email/calendar, and two chat clients.