MacBook with an HDTV? (Need Suggestions/Advice for set-up)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rockyracoon, Mar 8, 2009.

1. rockyracoon macrumors newbie

I'm a PC user thinking about making the switch to Mac. I was originally planning on getting an iMac but now I'm wondering if a MacBook with an external monitor might be a better set up.

I've also never owned a laptop before so I'm not sure how much I will actually take advantage of the portability but since the specs on the iMac and MB are fairly close I figure using a MB with a monitor would at least give me some options.

I'm thinking I would go with the 2.4 MacBook and a 22'' Samsung LCD. I would also be connecting a PS3 to the samsung for games and Bluray. What do you think of this set up? Will I have any issues using the Samsung? Is there a particular Samsung model or other LCD you recommend?

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

everything sounds good.

idk if what kind of connections your samsung has, but purchase your cables through monoprice.

and cool thing about macbooks is that they have optical out, allowing for 5.1 surround sound, so you can hook it up to an AVR.

i have a 52" sony xbr4 lcd and a 24" westinghouse monitor and use a mini dvi to hdmi to connect to both. flawless...