MacBook with Beats or wait for MacBook Pro? Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by timmyk86, Sep 5, 2016.

1. timmyk86 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Hoping you can help with my dilemma.

I need a new laptop as my 5 year old Macbook air is starting to die on me. I'm stuck between two options.

1) Macbook m3 with the free Beats headphones on the back to school offer (which i have already bought but can return in 14 days)
    or
    2) Wait for the Macbook Pro to be released and no Beats :(

I'm a relatively light user - mainly internet, email, spotify, word/excel/powerpoint and streaming HD video. I do like to take my laptop travelling so I appreciate it being on the smaller side. I'm not too bothered about ports or disc size. I do like the idea of being able to charge a macbook from a portable battery but it's not a deal breaker.

My question is basically will I be missing out hugely not having the latest Pro? The beats made the Macbook a good offer, but I am I selling my self short? If the new macbook pro is smaller than the current air I'd be sad I bought a rMacbook!

Thanks!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

That's the best option... on both points :D

3. brewmonkey macrumors regular

I think what it boils down to is if portability is more important than most every other aspect of a Mac, then MB is compelling. If almost any other single factor is more important than portability, its appeal diminishes. If multiple other factors are more important, its appeal diminishes dramatically.

I use a 15" rMBP, mainly because the extra screen real estate is very important to me, but could easily see myself in a 15" MB if they ever made such a thing.

4. timmyk86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha...whilst they're not the best, they are a nice addition and I could sell them if I wanted :)

Portability is very important for me...but likewise a macbook pro that's smaller than my previous Air would be adequate for me I think. Any chance of that happening?

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Nah, not really. You can't really pack the MBP horsepower into something as thin as a MBA, let alone thinner.

Regardless I'd wait until October/November to see what Apple have in store for the portables.

6. solo118, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016

solo118 macrumors 65816

Im coming from a late 2013 rMBP, I am very happy with the m3 12". I am thinking of upgrading to the m5 only because I could use extra hard drive space, but overall I do the same tasks and I am very happy.

I really want to get into photography, so if I need to photoshop pics, I will advise how the m3 works :)

On the flipside, if you need high horsepower, the 13" rMBP was not such a huge brick. It was quite thin and once in a knapsack you do not really feel the heft. I am assuming the 2016 rMBP will be even thinner and lighter.

7. geachy92 macrumors regular

Are you from the future?

8. solo118 macrumors 65816

Sorry! Fixed it to 2013