Macbook with broken screen wont boot from Mac HD when using option key on power-up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by funkytrev, Jan 19, 2010.

1. funkytrev macrumors newbie

First, thanks for the great site and knowledge. Long time lurker, first time I couldn't find a fix without asking so here it goes... I'll try not to leave anything out... Btw way the screen is broke but i use it with an lcd tv.

Was working in final cut this morning when suddenly the app froze. No big deal I'll just force quit and restart... Hit enter on the force quit dialogue and the app disappears. Cool. BUT, its hanging in purgatory in the dock, thinking its still "active" or whatever with the little highlight, but clearly states that is "not responding" when right-clicked. Command-opt-esc doesnt show final cut in the applications list when pressed again... AND, Illustrator and photoshop are also now not responding, and begin acting the same way in the dock. Weird right? Ok whatever so I'll just shut down and fire her back up, I think. Apple menu/shutdown shows the yes/no dialogue to shutdown but when i hit okay it does not shutdown. the top apple menu bar disappears as does all files/folders/images on the desktop, but the desktop background remains. i figured it was just taking a sec longer than usual so i walked out of the room, but when i came back it was the same. after REALLY trying to NOT press the power button to shut it off, I finally broke down and did.

Damn. Now the tv isnt getting the signal from the mac on restart. After much searching (probably here) I found that if I power up the mac and then immediately close the lid it forces the connected display into primary. Again, cool. BUT, I get the blinking question mark folder. I somehow managed to pull the above trick and hit the option key which brought me to what I thought would be an empty startup disk screen. Alas, Macintosh HD is right there.

But, when I choose that drive, which is the only thing showing, it goes back to a blank grey screen and never boots. LAME.:mad:

Any ideas? I can get all my data via target disk on my imac, and it appears the drive is functioning fine when i use disk utility when viewing as a firewire drive on the imac. I'm stumped...

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. robe1kenobe macrumors newbie

robe1kenobe

Go the hard way

It sounds like your hard drive got fried... Although it looks fine in disk utility, Do you have the OS restore disks? You might have to completely repair, and erase all of the data on the HD.

4. dandaman2 macrumors regular

Sucks to have a broken screen... I had one a while back, but having a non portable was not an option, so I plunked down an afternoon and $200 at powerbookmedic.com. Now, my screen is the only warranted part of the macbook.

It sounds to me like a fried HD too - the app slowness combined with the lack of boot-ability. I was getting the same thing a while back though and just did an archive-install - with the option to keep all apps, settings, etc (essentially flashing the system folder and leaving all else to be). That fixed it for me.

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Try to boot from the OSX cd that came with your machine (or your Snow Leopard disk if you have one). To do that put the disk in the machine and when booting, hold down just the C key.