Macbook with Cinema display... Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by divinemercy, Aug 16, 2008.

1. divinemercy macrumors regular

Ok. So i bought a macbook for college use, and now i think my next product choice would be a cinema display (although i may wait a few months to see if anything new comes out or prices drop). My questions are:

1. Is the cinema display worth it when used with a macbook? (i have the Intel Core 2 Duo, 2g, Processor Speed:2.4 GHz if that matters).

I mean, people always talk about how much better the MB pro's graphics are, and most posts about the cinema displays are in relation to macbook pros.......... so is the picture on a cinema display going to be poor when using a macbook?

2. How are the displays measured? Corner to corner like a television, or along the bottom edge?

Thanks SOOO much for your help you guys, you are always great.

Ryan

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The displays are measured from corner to corner.

The MacBook will drive the 20" and 23" Apple Cinema Displays. You can connect a 30" ACD to it, however it will drive it at a resolution below what it is capable of, so it's a waste.

Personally, I find 13" too small to work with on a daily basis. As such, my MB had an external 20" display and I have a 24" I use with my MacBook Pro.

3. divinemercy thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. So the macbook works with the 20-23 inch displays. The picture is good? I don't do video editing, etc (which is why i didnt buy a mb pro in the first place), but for watching films in my dorm room, surfing with a better experience, etc a 20 inch display would be beautiful for my macbook?

Also, do you have to buy an adapter for it? I think on apple.com it mentioned a mini dvi to dvi perhaps? Is this included in the display?

thanks,

ryan

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The image on the Cinema Display will be fine, but you will need a mini-DVI to DVI adapter from Apple to be able to plug it in to your MacBook.

5. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

IMO you're better off getting any other LCD brand that you're comfortable with. Especially since you'll probably be able to get a "better" spec-ed monitor for the same price you pay for an ACD or get one that is the same spec but for less. I say that because you're not wanting to do any photo editing or designing work or video editing.

6. divinemercy thread starter macrumors regular

true, but im a budding "purist" haha. Woudn't hook up my baby to any other brand ^^

7. LeoFio macrumors regular

If you think you will be doing any graphics design work/ photo editing in the future, invest in the cinema display with its H-IPS panel (or the 20" with an S-IPS panel I believe). Most other panels that have "better specs" are using not-so-good TN panels.

Of course you could buy based solely on the beautiful design :apple: