MacBook with Crucial SSD - Disappointed in results

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JackP, Apr 23, 2013.

1. JackP macrumors newbie

Just installed a Crucial M4 256GB SSD in my Mac unibody (Mid 2011) MB running Mountain Lion and am not seeing the performance increase I had expected. I bench marked it with BlackMagic (Writes 202/Reads 267). I also bench marked a friends 2012 Macbook with OEM SSD and his was getting R/W in the 400 range.

I dont expect that my year older computer with slower subsystems would get the same readings, but I had hoped to be closer then 50%

I tried it both with TRIM enabled and disabled (as per http://tinyurl.com/3vedv5o ). Ultimately leaving TRIM enabled since there was not hit on speed and hopefully it will be easier on the drive.

I did a lot of googeling on drive alignment but really couldnt find a definitive answer.

Is there anything I can do to increase SSD performance & efficiency, or are the readings I am getting reasonable for that computer with a M4?

Thanks

2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Confirm SATA bus?

I tried to look up a mid-2011 MacBook (none exist on Everymac).

What model do you have specifically? Might be a SATA 3GB version, which would confirm your speeds.

3. vladfein macrumors regular

3Gb/s is close to 375MB/s, NOT to 267MB/s...

4. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

sounds like you have a mid 2010 one that has sata II speeds

5. kaktus macrumors newbie

It look`s like you have a SATA 3 (3Gb/s). I have a Mac mini from 2009 that has SATA 3 (3Gb/s) and the same SSD. Results from Black Magic 205 write 267 read.

6. JackP thread starter macrumors newbie

7. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Think thats about right

Yes, that matches my iMac with a Crucial M4 (128GB).

8. JackP thread starter macrumors newbie

9. computerstar, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013

computerstar macrumors newbie

If possible, try to install an intel ssd and see the performace. It might be linked with the hard drive. The other day I installed a new hard drive and was slow. I installed another new hard drive and the speed was fine. It's very rear but it's possible.
    Thanks.

10. passey macrumors member

its sata 2 that has 3Gb/s not sata 3 that has 6Gb/s.

The speeds you have posted are typical Sata 2 speeds.

Unless you have a sata 3 connections on the mobo thats the best your going to get.

You wont notice much difference appart from benchmarks though as it will still be super fast.

11. s3man macrumors newbie

We once had to RMA a Crucial drive with poor results - Similar to standard drive.

Changed for an OCZ and much better.