MacBook with dead battery that can't be replaced

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rkwillis, Nov 21, 2011.

1. rkwillis macrumors newbie

I took my 2007 macbook to the Apple Store because the latch on the battery case won't release. The tech there could not get the battery to release either and recommended turning the laptop into a desktop or finding a case that can be charged. (like a portable docking station) I have been searching the web and can't find one. He mentioned it was a feather case from incipio - but the ones I have found do not charge. Does this make sense to anybody?

2. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

Is the release catch seized up or does it turn loosely? if it wont turn at all it might not be lined up properly at the battery end, have you tried pushing on the battery from different directions while trying to turn the release? if it just turns loosely then it might have come away from the mechanism. Have you tried removing it upside down? (so the battery is on the bottom) Gravity might help it come out but you'll need an extra set of hands to catch the falling battery if it does work!

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Sounds like you got an idiot tech. Anyone who basically says, "I can't fix it, so just deal with it" is not worthy of their paycheck. Either take it to a different tech, or have apple send you a shipping box to mail it in.

Somebody can get that battery out.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I've had trouble with some batteries that swelled up and were nearly impossible to remove. Take it from me, they're not impossible to remove. It just takes more work than that tech was willing to do.

Generally, I'd say a plastic spudger tool should be enough, although sometimes you might have to just risk some damage to your case and use an actual metal screwdriver. Just need to pry from the side closest to the latch, and get it to finally pop out.

jW

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Definitely Contact Apple, if you don't have an Apple certified tech, or an Apple Store nearby.

Just work with it as is, is not a good option. The battery being that stuck could indicate other issues and it could lead to worse damage in the long run.

6. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

FYI, if the battery is swollen Apple will replace it for free (and possibly fix any damage to the computers body done by it).