Macbook with Display or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by T6MDMAN, Mar 15, 2008.

1. T6MDMAN macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am about to buy a new mac soon to replace my powerbook G4, just want some advises from people here in the forum.
    Should I get a top of the line macbook 2.5Ghz with 4GB memory and 20" cinema display or Macbook pro 15" 2.5Ghz 2GB memory? I mainly use photoshop and illustrator, once in a while will use Aperture as well...so what do you guys think? Can Macbook do a good job on photo editing compare to his bigger brother macbook pro?
    Many many thanks :)

Cheers

Keith

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

With Aperture you'll get better performance from the MBP because it leverages the gpu. But for the other apps, cpu speed is what you want. Personally, I'd go with the MB and a second display, but it's a personal choice. I run Aperture 2 on my 1.66 CD Mini (64 mb GMA950 gpu) and it does just fine.

3. T6MDMAN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks caveman, does it mean i will have tough time working on aperture? or just not as smooth as other apps?

thanks for the reply :)

cheers

keith

4. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

I would say go with the MBP. Most professionals use it, and it's a stellar computer.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Only Aperture and a few Photoshop CS3 routines use the gpu. Those will always perform better with a dedicated graphics card. With that said, Aperture 2 takes about 1.5 to 2 seconds to render my 30D raw files, on my 1.66 CD Mini and about 1 to 1.5 seconds on my 2.4 gHz MBP. Unless you plan to batch process dozens of raw images on a daily basis with Aperture, there's really no compelling reason for you to get a MBP for the work you intend to do. The current MacBook with 2.4 gHz cpu and X3100 will be just fine. Take that $800 in savings and buy yourself a nice S-IPS or S-PVA external display, and Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. You'll have a nice photo processing setup.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Mind you that if you go for the MacBook + screen you basically wont be able to edit on the go. Not only because the screen quality is rather poor for image editing, but also because its so small.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I have yet to see a laptop with a decent display for image editing. After all, they all have TN panels. Only the 17" is a reasonable size, but at least the MBPs offer a matte option.

Decisions, decisions...

8. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Exactly what I was thinking. Really depends on how mobile you want to be.

Either way, I think if you want to do some serious photo work, you would regret the purchase of a macbook. I really wanted to get a black MacBook for the form factor, but new that it wouldnt be up to the task in the long run. If you need mobility and want to use pro apps, you should go with the MBP. I have the 17" with high def screen, and very happy with it.

If you have this thing on your desk all the time, you may want to look at getting a 24" imac. You can hook up another external to that, and keep your G4 powerbook for travel......

Enjoy your new purchase, whatever it is..

9. apull macrumors member

MB plus Display

Unless you're planning on gaming or serious video editing, go with the MacBook and an External Display. As far as RAM goes, do yourself a huge favor and do NOT pay Apple for the RAM upgrade: head over to Newegg and buy some decent RAM (read the reviews). Replacing it yourself is the easiest thing in the world and will save you a ton of dough.

If you're a college student, and end up deciding on the MB Pro, check out the Apple Student Developer Connection: $100 gets you a pretty hefty once-only discount on a hardware purchase.

http://developer.apple.com/products/student.html

10. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I was having the same debate.

It went from MacBook Air to MacBook Pro vs. MacBook.

I decided on buying a MBP from MacMall

They have a $150 rebate right now.

Also, parallels free after mail in rebate.

Oh, and you'll probably not have to pay taxes.

;-)

Doing that today.

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

These statements are inaccurate. Most video and photo apps rely on the cpu, not the gpu. Performance will be essentially the same, regardless of machine, so long as the cpu performance is the same. A 2.4 gHz MB encodes H.264 video faster than a 2.4 gHz MBP. For most Photoshop CS3 apps they are also about the same. The only video and photo apps that substantially leverage the gpu are Aperture, Shake and Motion (and a few tasks in PSCS3). We have both a MacBook (2 gHz) and MBP (2.4 gHz) and the MBP is only marginally faster for most photo and video tasks (due to its faster cpu).

12. T6MDMAN thread starter macrumors newbie

I mainly do the work at home, and if I really need to travel, i will still take my powerbook with me...i guess i have an idea now :) thanks folks.

apple forever.

Cheers

keith