Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
I´m in the market for a new computer that can handle the lovely OS Windows XP and since I´m doing a design work, it needs to have both DVI out and dedicated graphics card.

So my question is whether there is any chance that the Macbook will have this?:rolleyes:

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I agree. Dedicated graphics are probably a pipe-dream. As far as DVI-out goes I think it'll probably be included this time. In the past with the compression of specs between the powerbook and ibook (mainly due to a lack of processor choice) it was one of the key elements Apple used to make the consumer/pro product distinction. Now that Apple can make other significant technical differences based on processor/video card and it DVI pretty much standard on competitors machines it'll be in there best interest to include it.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
I´m hoping for e.g. x1300 in the higher end configurations, since the 12" powerbook will be discontinued and upselling is profitable for Apple unless it takes many sales from MBP.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Willy S said:
I´m hoping for e.g. x1300 in the higher end configurations, since the 12" powerbook will be discontinued and upselling is profitable for Apple unless it takes many sales from MBP.
What makes you so sure they'll discontinue the 12" Powerbook outright? I'm still living in hope for a 13.3" pro machine - some of us prefer the small form factor but would still like the lifting power of the core duo and dedicated graphics.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I think we can assume that the Macbook will have DVI out, but probably integrated graphics. It seems likely that it will use the same Intel GMA950 video as the Mini.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
If you are doing print and web design, why do you feel you need dedicated graphics? Even if you are doing 3-d and architectural design, inquire about the programs that you use and whether they do in fact take advantage of higher VRAM and dedicated GPUs.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
If you are doing print and web design, why do you feel you need dedicated graphics? Even if you are doing 3-d and architectural design, inquire about the programs that you use and whether they do in fact take advantage of higher VRAM and dedicated GPUs.
My wife is going study 3D animation and I think integrated graphics won´t cut it, at least that is the general advice she has been given, but it would be nice to know if e.g. GMA 950 would suffice for programs like Maya or Cinema 4D.

My wife hasn´t chosen the program yet tough, Cinema 4D or Maya is the most likely choices.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Willy S said:
My wife is going study 3D animation and I think integrated graphics won´t cut it, at least that is the general advice she has been given, but it would be nice to know if e.g. GMA 950 would suffice for programs like Maya or Cinema 4D.

My wife hasn´t chosen the program yet tough, Cinema 4D or Maya is the most likely choices.
Choose maya for it's industry proliferation (many houses use maya at some point in the production cycle (most use in-house tools for everything else)) and MEL scriptability. Then run it on linux (or a fast Mac, I guess).

Maya is truly great. Part of this summer I'm working with a guy to write a new front end for our AI courses and Maya makes this amazingly easy. MEL rocks.

Also, it really depends what renderer you are using. Hardware rendering makes use of graphics APIs to render, but software or raytracing (like the bundled Mental Ray) use CPU cycles. Video card power is often not in the equation because (desktop) hardware rendering is pretty low quality, but CPU count/speed is an issue. A fairly simple project I worked on recently had a render time of over 1 hour per frame at 2k resolution on a 16-node cluster. Real production houses can get in the double digits with much more powerful hardware. Getting render time down is a science these days.

If you are doing single frame work, I guess that takes some of the burn out of it. The difference in total time between 15 and 20 minutes for one frame is 5 min, but at 30 seconds... 24x30x5 = 60 hours. Big difference.

I'm rambling...

Anyway... after having run many various packages on the 3 major platforms, this setup has been the most stable and powerful for me.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Its possible, but we dont know anything for sure. Hopefully we will find out sometime thins week *fingers crossed*

If the MB comes out with intergrated graphics, maybe you should consider a refurbished 1.83 MBP ($1,699)

DeVizardofOZ

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
Antarctica City;)
PC WORLD about new 13.3" MacBook

Apple's New Intel-Based MacBook Now Available

Narasu Rebbapragada, PC World
Tue May 16, 4:00 PM ET

Apple today announced immediate availability of its consumer Intel-based laptop, well in time for the back-to-school shopping season. Called the MacBook, this model equipped with a 13.3-inch wide screen and running on a Core Duo processor replaces the 12-inch G4 PowerBook and all iBooks.

The notebook also complements Apple's recently released MacBook Pro laptops, which reportedly have experienced overheating and other technical problems. (Some Mac enthusiast sites are posting links to software that monitors the temperature of MacBook Pros.)

The MacBook is slimmer and slightly heavier than the old 12-inch Apple laptops. It comes in black or white and with either a 1.83-GHz or a 2.0-GHz Core Duo processor. Like the MacBook Pro, the MacBook comes with a built-in Webcam, Front Row media software, and an infrared remote control. It also has DVI-out support, gigabit ethernet, Bluetooth 2.0, 802.11g Wi-Fi, and optical digital audio-in and-out.

Apple priced its standard configurations of the MacBook at between $1099 and $1499. However, PC World's preferred configuration--with a 2.0-GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, and a 100GB hard drive--would cost $1699. Apple isn't offering a sub-$1000 configuration with an Intel Core Solo processor as it is with the $599 Mac Mini desktop PC.

IDC analyst Richard Shim says that the MacBook pricing makes sense given the more expensive, less common 13.3-inch wide-screen panel, whose resolution is 1280 by 800 pixels. "We're obviously not looking at a mass-market price point, and that's obviously by choice," says Shim. "But their challenge, of course, if you talk to Wall Street, is to increase their market share. This won't get them there."
What's Missing?

Like the feature set on the current MacBook Pro, this one doesn't include a modem (a $49 accessory) or an optical drive that writes to double-layer DVD media. When we reviewed the MacBook Pro, Apple said that its current optical drive supplier doesn't offer double-layer write support for drives that fit into the thinner laptop. Apple wasn't available for comment for this story.

The MacBook, which comes with an integrated Intel GMA 950 graphics processor, does not include an option for discreet graphics. This a sticking point for users such as "Mashugly," the founder of The OSx86 Project, a site focused on Mac OSX and Intel-based hardware. "The only thing that would keep me from [the MacBook] is the integrated graphics," asserts Mashugly, who says that otherwise the MacBook is "probably the best entry-level notebook that I've seen."

Mashugly also says that he hopes Apple has resolved reported technical problems with currently shipping MacBook Pros. These problems include faulty latches, uneven screen brightness, and heat issues that PC World reader Jim Kenton calls "egg-frying hot."

"I can't recommend to my friends to buy a Mac laptop right now because of the quality issues," Mashugly says. "That's really sad. I mean, I run a Mac forum. When you have the faithful telling their friends that you should wait until the next revision, that's not a good situation."

This article clearly shows the present quality problems with the MBPs, let us hope the MB has gotten the benefit of the early experiences:p

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.