Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylep6190

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
hey I will be purchasing my first macbook soon, but I am wondering if the monitor is too small, can I just another monitor and hook it right up to it? Also will I be able to use my macbook screen along with the external monitor so I can move things back and forth, or when I plug my external monitor in will I only be able to use that and not the macbook screen as well?

bitty417

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
hey I will be purchasing my first macbook soon, but I am wondering if the monitor is too small, can I just another monitor and hook it right up to it? Also will I be able to use my macbook screen along with the external monitor so I can move things back and forth, or when I plug my external monitor in will I only be able to use that and not the macbook screen as well?

Absolutely --

I currently hav my Macbook connected to a Dell 27" with both screens spanned -- you can drag applications across from the built in laptop screen to the external monitor.

You will need to get a Mini-DVI to DVI or VGA connector.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
You can connect an external monitor, but as the MacBook has a Mini-DVI connection and not a standard DVI connection, you'll need to buy the adapter from Apple to do it. DVI produces a better picture than VGA, and an increasing number of monitors don't have VGA connections, so you may be better off getting the DVI adapter not the VGA one.

Either way, the MacBook's screen is pretty high-res for it's size, there's no real need for an external monitor...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.