macbook with odd problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DodoFever, Nov 9, 2009.

1. DodoFever macrumors newbie

I have a white Macbook (early 2007) which has exhibited some strange problems. The fan has made a grinding sound which has gotten progressively worse for the last month. after trying many other fixes, I opened the computer, and used dust remover to get rid of the dust the fan was clogged with as well as the rest of the computer. I replaced the memory, and the computer started up fine. That night, I shut it down, and the next morning, the computer would not start. When the power button is pressed, it runs through the boot routine, until it gets to the spinning gear with the Apple logo, when it shuts down immediately. If I hold down the power button, the sleep indicator light flashes about 10 times rapidly and then the computer emits a long beep, and it does the same shutdown at the apple logo. It does the same in safe mode, and I have also tried resetting the PRAMs. I ran the apple hardware test, which reported no problems, but upon running the extended test, it reported an error code saying that the fan could not spin to full speed. I tried switching each RAM chip to the other slot, properly grounded the whole time. I booted from the install cd, and tried to verify the disk, but it said it needed to be repaired. I did this, but it reported another error, saying that there was an incorrect block count, and an "Invalid sibling link". The hard drive has already failed once, and been replaced by Apple. After this, it started successfully in safe mode, but when I restarted regularly, the problem persisted. And, the fan is still making noise. Help...

2. mrfixit197 macrumors newbie

That's an odd MacBook. Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you, other than to send it in to Apple.

3. DodoFever thread starter macrumors newbie

haven't yet tried to reinstall leopard, but I would have to wipe the whole drive. Because it only has 1.5 GB free, and it is backed up, but I'm reluctant to wipe the drive...