Macbook with possibly Dead HD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sheepopo39, Apr 4, 2009.

1. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

My macbook was working for most of today until when I closed the screen down for dinner, and when I kame back I noticed that it was frozen so I shut it off and when I turned it back on, I noticed that it was stuck on that grey screen, so I tryed 4 more times and no luck, so I stuck in my Leopard DVD and ran disk Utility and the HD was marked as diskos02 and wouldn't read me thee space free or the space used dffdfsdf˙df and I wasn't able to verify nor repair the disk. What made it weird if it was a dying hd was that it didn't give me the typical HD symbol with the question mark. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?????

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Can you access it via target disk mode? If your data is backed up, will disk utility allow for you to format the drive?

3. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

nahhh, I never got around to backing it up, now I really feel like I should

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Boot from the install disc #1, go into Disk Utility, and "Verify" your hard drive to see what the status of it is.

5. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not to be difficult or anything but I tried that recently and when I tried to verify "diskos02" it said it couldn't do it, which is really odd, do you think it ould still be a dead hd?

6. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

Sadly, yes. :(