Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
US
Hello all.

I am thinking of downgrading my current macbook pro to a regular black macbook (and yes, you wonder about the price difference. Well, through my school I have the chance to get a current gen 2.2 SR black macbook for only 1100 so I think this is a good time, as I can get it for the same price at the midline white one right now... color isn't a huge thing for me, but I like the black better, so why not :) )

Anyway... I am in the spot where I need to use some 3d modeling programs via bootcamp or vmware fusion. I want to know if ANYONE has any experience with this, and if it is ok despite the integrated graphics of the macbook.

I was waiting to see if there was going to be a macbook pro 13inch released, and instead got the macbook air, which is... basically useless to me. Sooooo...

Does anyone have any experience at all with 3d model rendering programs on the macbook? I've heard a few people on different forums say it's ok, but i want a broader range of experience. It doesn't require intensive graphics card stuff, as I'm not doing any animation or anything, but who knows.

I'm planning on downgrading for the nice 600+ chunk of change difference that as poor college student with car problems would very much benefit from.

thanks in advance.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
3D modeling is very CPU intensive, but doesn't generally place high requirements on the GPU, so you should be fine. Don't even think about doing it under VMWare, however - performance will be miserable. Stick to OS X or bootcamp

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
US
Ummm yeah, I know. Actually I use solidworks under vmware with my macbook pro and have had no problems with performance for the product modeling I do (not super intensive stuff again). Although bootcamp comes in handy.

Sadly solidworks isn't made for OSX. It makes me sad :( I wish they did more of this 3d modeling stuff for OSX by now. I really hate windows.

Thanks for the input. Anyone else have any experience?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Yeah, it's sad about SolidWorks - especially as it started off as a NeXTSTEP application, so should have been a shoe-in for porting to OS X. :(

Mind you, most of the alternatives _are_ available: Maya, Lightwave, Cinema4D... Not a lot of use if you need Solidworks, though ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.