Macbook with some unusual problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tbohlsennswssrg, Aug 27, 2008.

?

What do you think is causing the problems ?

1. Software (e.g Mac OS X etc.)

100.0%
  2. Hardware (e.g RAM, CPU etc.)

16.7%
  1. tbohlsennswssrg macrumors regular

tbohlsennswssrg

Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I did use search.

I have a Mid - 2007 Refirb. Macbook running Mac OS X 10.5.x, Core2Duo (2 Ghz), 2.5 GB RAM (with 2 GB SO-DIMM from Kingston replacing one of the stock 512MB SO-DIMM's from Apple)

I have the following problems:

a) It won't log out from a user without shutting down or rebooting (although Fast User Switching still works)

b) About this mac does not work

2. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Well that doesn't tell us much. Try making a new user account and see if the problem persists.

3. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Sounds like a software problem. Try re-installing Mac OS X. If that doesn't work, put the other stick of stock RAM back in so that you have 1GB again. Maybe that could be the reason 'About this Mac' isn't working for you.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just a tip: Using a poll isn't really appropriate when you're trying to troubleshoot a problem. Polls are designed for other uses, such as surveys of opinions, not selecting possible resolutions.

5. tbohlsennswssrg thread starter macrumors regular

tbohlsennswssrg

About this mac doesn't work but system profiler does ?

Also, I have already determent that it's a system-wide issue not a user issue.

EDIT: This only occured after I upgraded the system from Mac OS X 10.4.x --> Mac OS X 10.5.x

Is there anything I can do other that re-installing the Operating System? (because it would take me 3 - 5 hours to do)

6. tbohlsennswssrg thread starter macrumors regular

tbohlsennswssrg

[​IMG]

I fixed by doing the following things:

1. Backup using Carbon Copy Cloner (2 - 3 hours)
    2. Erase Hard Drive using 7 pass erase [United States Department of Defense Standard] (3 - 4 hours)
    3. Reinstall Mac OS X "Leopard" 10.5 from Leopard DVD (1 hour)
    4. Do Updates [incl. Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update] (30 minutes)
    5. Restore Application, Preferences, Users etc... (1 - 2 hours)

Total Time: ≈ 7 1/2 - 10 1/2 hours :eek:

7. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Well, good things take time. ;)

Glad to hear everything is back to normal.

8. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

That's nowhere near necessary. The only reason to do this is if you were in trouble with the law and had to make sure everything was gone. If you thought you had a virus, a virus can't come back from the dead just because you only did a regular format.

That's interesting... I did a reinstall just for fun today, as a matter of fact. The whole reinstallation process took me about 15-25 min. But then again, I did pretty much a bare bones install; I didn't install iLife and all that.

I forgot to download the Combo update for 10.5.5 last night, so I had to do it today = ~1hr... Then I had to download the iTunes and QT updates, that was about a half hour. It is a pain in the ass, indeed.

This definitely takes me the most time, to get all my custom preferences and files in order. This part took me probably 3 hours.